TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Barack Obama speaks on Climate Change (June 25th, 2013).

Discussion in 'Video' started by Benz, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Benz

Benz Active Member

2. fcharland

fcharland Member

Every single thing he said was simple logic. Seems like Canada and USA switched places... we're now the polluters and USA wants to lead environmental politics.

Again what he said makes sense.

3. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Most important thing is that President Obama wants the USA to lead at global level the fight against carbon pollution. I think that the problem of global warming is so urgent and there is no time to waste.

4. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#4 artsci, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    This was long overdue step in the right direction, but hardly far enough.

Most scientists would argue that we've already run out of time and set into motion irreversible forces. The effects on the planet of carbon levels as high as they are now are in the fossil records and it's a very ugly picture, at least for the human race (see paleontologist and professor of Biology and of Earth and Space Sciences at the University of Washington, Seattle Peter D. Ward's several books on the topic). Civilization as we know it is facing catastrophic change. It's not a question of if but only when. The President is very aware of what's coming -- our own Defense Department has predicted it. But the steps necessary to fix it all are so draconian politically that it's a third rail for any politician, including the President. We have to have severe limits on consumption, which no one would support. So, unless we realize that we're on a path to self-destruction ( and even if we do), we're all frogs in the proverbial pot of water that's slowing coming to a boil.

An extreme view? For sure, but a realistic one.

This is one very good reason I'm very happy to be in my 60s. I won't be around when it all comes unglued.

floodVenice.jpg

5. Benz

Benz Active Member

Not many people do realize that we're on a path to self-destruction (yet).
    Therefore, I think that first of all people should be made awere about this topic.

6. Benz

Benz Active Member

7. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Smoking is considered a way of self destruction too, but still a lot of people don't care. It took decades to create laws that protect "innocent bystanders" from the effects of smoking. No one would push for legislation to completely ban smoking. CO2 legislation is even harder.

I'm sorry to sound like the disillusioned guy here, but efforts on an international agreement limiting CO2 production seem to make no progress since 1997. It takes examples by leadership of every single person that is convinced of the urge to take action. Then public opinion might slowly start to turn around, finally pushing governments into action.

8. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

#8 Raffy.Roma, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  9. artsci

artsci Sponsor

Many scientists argue that it's already too late -- the result of inaction for decades and the willful ignorance of the fools in the House and Senate. President Obama has demonstrated courage on this but his decision on Keystone will be the proof of the pudding.

10. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

#10 Raffy.Roma, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    I don't think that it's too late but actions to fight global warming caused by too high CO2 concentration in the atmosphere must be taken now. I think that President Obama is facing this situation correctly because he is looking at the problem not only considering the USA but considering it as a global problem.
    To this concern I would like to report this speech given by President Obama on Climate Change:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnz4vcTt8G8

At minute 22 of the above linked speech President Obama says that in order to decrease carbon pollution all Countries all over the world should do efforts and that the USA are going to lead these international efforts.

11. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

If you are going to do something, you can't really worry about what other countries may or may not do. If all you're going to do is to tell the other countries that they should do something, then it's not so good. It's like the washroom at work. I'm the only one that wipes the sinks off during the day and picks up the paper towels that drop on the floor. That others don't isn't my problem because there isn't any reason not to be polite by leaving the facilities clean(er) for the next person.

12. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Diplomacy is something more than simply telling other countries what they should do. Dyplomacy is an art that can give good results.