TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Bare screws in rear wheel liners?

Discussion in 'Model X: Interior & Exterior' started by pakman00, Jul 22, 2017.

1. pakman00

pakman00 Member

The downside of reading following these forums is that it makes a new owner paranoid of defects:p. I was giving our new model X another thorough look over and was looking in the rear wheel wells. I see a number of bare screws in recessed areas with thin fasteners but still with sharp end of the screws bare (see photos). I guess a tire wouldn't hit them in normal use but wonder if they could do damage if you ever did bottom out the suspension.

I'm probably being paranoid but can someone confirm is this normal?

20170722_095933.jpg 20170722_095057.jpg

2. zackmilo

zackmilo No chrome for me!

Congrats on the X but think its normal. Don't have mine now(most people know why) anyone else have this on their X?

3. qadaemon

qadaemon Member

On mine they are bolts and nuts in the same orientation, so it looks normal to me. I suspect they changed to the push lock style for ease of manufacturing.

4. Yoonoo

Yoonoo Member

Have the same screws as well (April 2017 Build)...I also thought it was strange having bare screws in the wheel well at first, but then figured the wheel would never touch them under normal conditions.

5. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

Those let them use the push on metal disks that are on them for assembly. They are common on German cars, no idea about any others. They are better for reuse than the plastic tree style fasteners.