Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Barebone $35,000 Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In cheap car models, A/C is optional and cost more. Can you dry the air in winter with included heater with no extra cost?

No. You can warm the air, and that helps, but it works faster/better when you can remove the moisture. Especially when you sit warm and/or sweating in the cold car after a ski trip (or round of dogsledding ;) ) midwinter.

This I agree with!

I would say $35K gets you the following:
1) Aluminum+Steel body (confirmed in prior exec comments)
2) ~45kWh battery
3) RWD
4) Solid black or white
5) Solid roof
6) 19" wheels - already stock them for MS, so simplifies supply chain
7) Spring suspension
8) Textile seats
9) Non-wood trim, and basic headliner
10) 17" display - again simplified supply chain and SW development
11) Navigation - they need navigation to have the trip planner otherwise they are going to have a ton of newbie EV owners running out of juice
12) SC capable
13) 48A charger

I think the major upgrades will be
- Bigger battery
- AWD
- Performance edition
- Pano roof
- Autopilot
- Sub-Zero
- Air suspension
- Bigger wheels, maybe 20", since they have those in stock too
- Leather
- Wood and CF trim options
- Premium interior with leather, alcantara, lighting, etc
- Convenience features like power liftgate, homelink, etc
- Supercharging
- 72A charger

I actually agree with your estimation but I do think the battery might be 50kWh. If these options are not available I personally would go with the S70D. Mid to Late 2017 works perfectly for my purchase time frame! I'm excited to see what the Model 3 has to offer.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone on the Tesla Motors Reddit forum that works for Panasonic at the GF said that Tesla is actually using a pretty nice interior for the Model 3! I really doubt this is going to be the "Cheap Tesla" Tesla knows very well the market the Model 3 will be competing in and i have no doubt it would be a compelling car even if some of those features come at additional add ons.. I guess we all won't know the answer until unveiling.

Heated seats are pretty cheap, and help improve range (heating your seat uses a lot less energy than heating the cabin). I've installed aftermarket seat heaters in the past, and they only drew ~35W.

I expect the base car won't include free internet. There will be an LTE radio, but you'll have to pay for service. Wifi will be included for updates in your garage, or pairing with your phone for internet access on the road.

Heated seats are very cheap for manufacturers but sell as an expensive option on all cars. I remember reading it cost $8 to the manufacturers but was usually part of a package upgrade for cars I.e. BMW i3 which adds them as part of a $1500 package.

I expect the model 3 to have package options like the S, sound upgrade, premium interior upgrade etc. So no heated seats in the base.

Also the 3 will have to have level 2 charging built in as it'll sell overseas and we have 240 volt so it wouldn't make sense to ship a 110 volt car only.

Also the 3 will have to have level 2 charging built in as it'll sell overseas and we have 240 volt so it wouldn't make sense to ship a 110 volt car only.
120V-only wouldn't happen, even if the car was US only. The battery will be too big to charge at 1.5kW - it would take days to charge at 3-4 mph. 120V only makes sense for plug-in hybrids (and conversions) with tiny batteries. I have a friend who never installed a 240V EVSE for her Volt, because she can charge overnight on a regular 120V outlet.

While you misunderstood what he was saying I actually was thinking the Model might come with an 80 kWh pack with an option for 100 kWh. I know it sounds crazy now but will it two years from now? My thinking is that of economies of scale. It would be much more cost effective if they put the same battery pack in all of their models. The big question is whether they could fit them in the smaller sled. But with technological/chemical advances maybe it would be possible. One can dream...

IMO no way the Model 3 will have greater range than the Model S. My guess is that there will definitely be more than 1 battery pack option, but the base will be much less than 80 kWh.

In cheap car models, A/C is optional and cost more. Can you dry the air in winter with included heater with no extra cost?

Is it really that crazy to think A/C will be included in the base model? :confused:

Valid point that yes, a/c can be useful in the winter. I also conceded that it is unlikely to be other than standard in any non-Yugo introduced in this era. Nonetheless, it would be interesting to see the Model 3 come with it as an option....and even more interesting to learn how much choosing that option would set one back.

I know it's kind of crazy but is there any scenario that the barebone version would come with manually operated wind-up windows as a cost saving item?

remove-manual-window-crank-800x800.jpg

The cheapest new car sold in America, the Nissan Versa Note at 12.6K, comes with A/C standard (along with Bluetooth and a 5" touchscreen).

- - - Updated - - -

I know it's kind of crazy but is there any scenario that the barebone version would come with manually operated wind-up windows as a cost saving item?

No, not on a 35K car. The few least expensive cars in the US have power windows as an option, but once you get up to about 15K they are standard.

Based on the assumptions, which is 200miles and 35K starting.. & not to take sales away from Model S.. i think the likely thing is...

#1 Slower 0-60 time.
#2 Smaller battery
#3 Safety sensors but no autopilot
#4 Smaller screen
#5 Non-aluminum body
#6 FWD or RWD

IMO no way the Model 3 will have greater range than the Model S.
Both Model S and Model X, Tesla Generation II vehicles, have higher range than the Tesla Roadster, from Generation I. I submit that due to improved power electronics, improved battery chemistry, improved aerodynamics, and greatly decreased weight that for a given battery pack capacity, the Tesla Model ≡ will have a greater range than either Model S or Model X. Thus, a Model ≡ 60 would have a range of ~230-to-250 miles. A Model ≡ 90D would have a ~320-to-345 mile range. Should a mythical, highly hoped for, 120 kWh battery pack arrive for it, you may expect a nice, cool 460 mile range.

- - - Updated - - -

The amount of sarcasm being used in this thread is hilarious.
Yeah... But sarcasm only works when you are correct. Try it when you are dead wrong, and it just looks like you are an [@$$].

It is not far-fetched that smaller, lighter cars would have more range than Model S.

For example, Roadster 3.0 equipped with 70kWh battery has a range of 400 miles, which is much longer than 240 miles for 70kWh Model S-D.

Considering the roadster can now do 400 miles, and weighs ~2700lbs....the range of the 70D is 240 miles at ~4650lbs....I don't think a car weighing ~3700 lbs with a 70D getting 300+ would be considered far fetched.

For example, Roadster 3.0 equipped with 70kWh battery has a range of 400 miles...
That has not been established. You need to review more carefully what Tesla has said about the Roadster 3.0 upgrade package.

See Roadster 3.0 | Tesla Motors
Quote: "Combining all of these improvements we can achieve a predicted 40-50% improvement on range between the original Roadster and Roadster 3.0. There is a set of speeds and driving conditions where we can confidently drive the Roadster 3.0 over 400 miles. We will be demonstrating this in the real world during a non-stop drive from San Francisco to Los Angeles in the early weeks of 2015."
Then see Roadster Road Trip Update: San Jose to Los Angeles on a Single Charge | Tesla Motors
Quote: "For our first test outing, we evaluated the prototype package on a historic route down the I-5... a distance of approximately 340 miles... And less than six hours from leaving San Jose, we pulled into the Santa Monica Pier, with 20 miles remaining in the battery pack."
So that test drive resulted in an estimated 360 mile range for a Roadster that had the entire 3.0 upgrade package installed, which is much more than just the battery. Since that second blog post, which was a year ago, Tesla has not made any other statements about the 3.0 upgrade range.
So Tesla has yet to demonstrate that the 3.0 Roadster has a real world range of 400 miles. And Tesla has yet to release any part of the 3.0 upgrade package except for the battery, which by itself will definitely not come anywhere close to a 400 mile real world driving range.

Manually adjustable seats. No power, no memory.

Also, I imagine the $35k version would have less margin on it. Last I heard, at least before X came out, Model S 70D had the highest margin in the line-up, percentage wise, and I imagine they would have the $35k version with minimal margin. So, in a way, you don't have to cut the cost of making it in half, just the price of selling it...