TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Barstow<-->Tejon Ranch: Is there anything to SEE along that route?

Discussion in 'California' started by AudubonB, Aug 20, 2014.

1. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

A NorthCountryIgnoramus question: a quick look at the map suggests that this stretch may have little of interest. Is there anything of geological, historical, cultural, scenic etc. interest along Rtes 58-14-138?

2. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

We drove that stretch (from Tejon to Barstow) earlier this month.

the only thing of interest is the old airplane parking lot just past the wind farms... Otherwise very desolate...

3. DennisLevitt

DennisLevitt Member

On the one hand, it would be easy to say @zbb is overstating what there is to see, i.e. less than that. On the other hand, some of it is a little like a painted desert, and it kind of grows on you.

4. pharmacydave

pharmacydave Member

This is place is worth a stop. Visitor Center

Visitor CenterDiscover Hidden Treasure
    Buried deep in the Mojave Desert is one of the biggest and richest deposits of borax on the planet. You will also find the Borax Visitor Center, one of the best kept secrets of the Southern California desert. Built in 1997, it had more than 126,845 visitors as of the end of 2010.

5. Lump

Lump Active Member

Been stopping here since I was a kid to get a shake or a snack since I was a kid (if its not too crowded) isn't a very exciting route.

Charlie Brown Farms

6. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

My wife's cousin worked there. The pickles in the big barrel are amazing!

7. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Heh!

I figgered if I shook that mesquite tree hard enough, I'd get a few gems to drop.

I was mesmerized as a lad by the 20-mule team image on that detergent box of the borax mining out in the Mojave.

8. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Hey -- I'm an Arizona Native. The Painted Desert is fascinating to look at. The Mojave much less so...

I almost mentioned the Borax mines. Didn't realize there was a visitors center (we were towards the end of a 3 week road trip and focused on getting home...) That actually might be kind of interesting...

9. abasile

abasile Independent Software Eng.

San Bernardino Mts., CA (Elev. 6100' / 1800m)
    In Spring, I'd recommend detouring a little to see the California Antelope Valley Poppy Reserve. It's quite beautiful if there's been enough precipitation and all of the poppies are in bloom. (Hopefully this winter won't be as dry as the last two.)

10. dadaleus

dadaleus 4GETOIL P85#S70,FdrX,S85D

Driven mostly along that route several times (from Big Bear to Tejon actually). There are lots of historical markers along the way. Lots of history relating to the creation of the railroads, Native American (Cowboys and Indians) battles, exploration of California during spanish times, etc...

Check out these apps. Love them for making drives like that a lot more interesting, especially if you are into history:
    Historical Markers on the App Store on iTunes
    Roadside America on the App Store on iTunes

If you aren't on an iphone, I apologize. Maybe there are equivalent Android versions.