Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Barstow to Harris Ranch Direct

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

napabill

Supporting Member
Looking for experiences of making the run from Barstow to Harris Ranch direct. It is 229 miles per Google, and includes the Tehachapi summit. I know I can divert to Tejon and make it no problem but it adds 30-45 minutes drive time. On my trip down in December I talked with a couple of people that had done it, and it sounded like it was pretty tight. Suppose I could set a goal rated range to have when I hit Bakersfield then decide whether to go for it or not at that point.

I've been keeping my eye on this run as well. Looks like with the 19"s you may be good especially with the stretches of 55MPH on 46 / 58 depending on route. If stop at a 70A charger, for about 20 - 30 miles You'll might still be running the same time as through Tejon. A few too many variables with wind and elevation to be certain. I'll probably do it at some point, slowly at first, but I don't even have the car yet. :) Would be nice to get a supercharger in that route for the bay area to LV runs.

Even if there were, it would be faster to go to Tejon then Harris Ranch than stop for an hour+ to sip at 40amps in order to go direct.

Does the OP have twin chargers? I haven't mapped this out, but if you had twin chargers, and you're only looking at giving yourself a slight buffer and not a full charge in order to get to Harris Ranch, and if there were a 70A station on the more direct route, seems like stopping for 20-30 minutes and picking up 20-25 rated miles at 70A (not sipping at 40A) would be faster than detouring to Tejon.

Another option could be drafting behind semi-trucks or SUVs (safe distance of course). If you did it at the beginning, you'd know if it saves you enough energy to make it all the way. Would be kind of boring, but maybe less boring than diverting for the supercharger or sitting around for a long time waiting on a charge. If you have someone else with you to drive, it would be best to switch off every now and then to stay more alert. Good thing about semi-trucks is their size and the fact that they take longer to stop than the MS, bad thing is the tires are bigger and they throw up more road debris. Following one with a skirt would be the best choice....

Don't hide in anyone's blind spot. That will piss them off.

Does the OP have twin chargers? I haven't mapped this out, but if you had twin chargers, and you're only looking at giving yourself a slight buffer and not a full charge in order to get to Harris Ranch, and if there were a 70A station on the more direct route, seems like stopping for 20-30 minutes and picking up 20-25 rated miles at 70A (not sipping at 40A) would be faster than detouring to Tejon.
Don't get me started! Never understood the value of having an extra charger last summer when I configured the car. Never occurred to me there might be a use "on-the-road." Bought some TSLA stock at $34 and the gain may pay for a retrograde this summer.:smile:

Don't get me started! Never understood the value of having an extra charger last summer when I configured the car. Never occurred to me there might be a use "on-the-road." Bought some TSLA stock at $34 and the gain may pay for a retrograde this summer.:smile:

Wouldn't help you here anyway. There's no 70amp chargers anywhere close (except perhaps in somebody's home).

At first I thought you were in a 60kWh, but with an 85kWh, I don't think you'll have an issue, even without doing any of Doug's hints which I can personally vouch for.

The Rules of Model S Road Tripping - Blogs - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

During our 3K mile road trip from Seattle to LA we did several stretches in CA in our 60kWh over 220 miles; even at highway speeds.

The major killer of range is the cold, outside of that it is speed/wind (air drag) and the rest is really negligible in my experience.