TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Base 19' or 19' Cyclones?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by allanhof, May 15, 2015.

1. allanhof

allanhof Member

Any opinions out there on aesthetics and/or preference? I understand the cyclones also provide a slight range advantage, but not much really to speak of.

2. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

The cyclons are the same as the base ones in terms of efficiency. The only one that differs is the aero wheel, where it is a bit more efficient.

I personally like the cyclons better, but there is a better one, which is the 19" Turbine made by Sportline.

3. paulwesterberg

On this blog post JB said that 19" Cyclones are the most efficient wheel they currently offer:
    Driving Range for the Model S Family | Tesla Motors

I don't see how they can be very aerodynamic considering that they are shaped like a fan and one side sucks in while the other side blows out... But afaik the wind tunnel numbers are not publicly available.

They used to offer aero wheels:
    http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30068&d=1378583911
    But not enough people bought them so they were discontinued.

I ended up just getting the base 19" wheels as I don't like how the cyclones are slightly asymmetrical and I didn't want to pay 4 grand for turbines that offer worse efficiency and a harsher ride.

If I can't find anything aero and reasonably priced I am planning on picking up a set of tsportline wheels for winter tires later this year:
    TST Tesla Aftermarket Wheel 19x8.5

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I definitely prefer the aero wheels to the base wheels, aesthetically speaking.

5. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

Agreed.

Choosing Cyclone option costs more than base, but they don't give you a set of base wheels when you purchase cyclones.

But, if you order the car with base, and then purchase the T-Sportsline wheels after-market, you can always sell the base rims and net $$ out of the situation.

I personally would order base, get the black T-Sportsline rims and use them for the summer tires, and then switch to the base for the winter tires.

6. allanhof

allanhof Member

good idea. Will likely get dinged with the $500 change fee but net out $2300

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The Cyclones if powder coated look nice

8. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Rial Lugano`s from Tire Rack are a lower cost option as well....and offer a few different finishes. I got the Graphite Silvers for my winters, but if I end up liking them more than my stock 19`s I will swap and make them my summers at some point.

9. pairtrader

pairtrader Member

I have the Tsportline wheels and love them. I keep my winter tires on the stock wheels and my all seasons on the Tsportlines. I put TPMS sensors on both sets so it's a simple $9 per tire swap at my local shop.

Photos (on winter tires, since swapped) Western Canada Superchargers - Page 81