Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base 19' or 19' Cyclones?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any opinions out there on aesthetics and/or preference? I understand the cyclones also provide a slight range advantage, but not much really to speak of.

The cyclons are the same as the base ones in terms of efficiency. The only one that differs is the aero wheel, where it is a bit more efficient.

I personally like the cyclons better, but there is a better one, which is the 19" Turbine made by Sportline.

On this blog post JB said that 19" Cyclones are the most efficient wheel they currently offer:
Driving Range for the Model S Family | Tesla Motors

I don't see how they can be very aerodynamic considering that they are shaped like a fan and one side sucks in while the other side blows out... But afaik the wind tunnel numbers are not publicly available.

They used to offer aero wheels:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=30068&d=1378583911
But not enough people bought them so they were discontinued.

I ended up just getting the base 19" wheels as I don't like how the cyclones are slightly asymmetrical and I didn't want to pay 4 grand for turbines that offer worse efficiency and a harsher ride.

If I can't find anything aero and reasonably priced I am planning on picking up a set of tsportline wheels for winter tires later this year:
TST Tesla Aftermarket Wheel 19x8.5

there is a better one, which is the 19" Turbine made by Sportline.

Agreed.

Choosing Cyclone option costs more than base, but they don't give you a set of base wheels when you purchase cyclones.

But, if you order the car with base, and then purchase the T-Sportsline wheels after-market, you can always sell the base rims and net $$ out of the situation.

I personally would order base, get the black T-Sportsline rims and use them for the summer tires, and then switch to the base for the winter tires.

Agreed.

Choosing Cyclone option costs more than base, but they don't give you a set of base wheels when you purchase cyclones.

But, if you order the car with base, and then purchase the T-Sportsline wheels after-market, you can always sell the base rims and net $$ out of the situation.

I personally would order base, get the black T-Sportsline rims and use them for the summer tires, and then switch to the base for the winter tires.

good idea. Will likely get dinged with the $500 change fee but net out $2300