Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base car seats v/s Premium package seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to ascertain the differences in seats between the base model and the premium package. Here is what i can find in the specs.

Base seats:
Textile seating. Does this mean this is a cloth seat or is it softex type synthetic leather?
Is it only available in black or can i order textile seating in other colors too?
Are seats powered or manual?
Is there lumber support?

Premium seats:
Are these leather or are these also some form of synthetic leather?

Reactions: Vern Padgett
I am trying to ascertain the differences in seats between the base model and the premium package. Here is what i can find in the specs.

Base seats:
Textile seating. Does this mean this is a cloth seat or is it softex type synthetic leather?
Is it only available in black or can i order textile seating in other colors too?
Is there lumber support?

Premium seats:

I read that the PUP seats are 12 way adjustable power and the standard seats are 6 way adjustable manual.

Base seats:
Is there lumber support?

Premium seats:

PUP is "synthetic" but that has a negative connotation. The vegan leather Tesla uses is amazing, any negatives are in your head.

As of the textile seating, I've felt them and they seem to be really nice. They have leather accents, (At least in the X and S) but are mostly cloth? It's really tight, textured and durable feeling.

My guess is it will only be available in black. But Tesla may change that who knows.

• Informative
PUP is "synthetic" but that has a negative connotation. The vegan leather Tesla uses is amazing, any negatives are in your head..

The apparent inability to make durable perforated (and thus vented/cooled) seats using it seems to be very much real. (to the point they not only don't offer the feature on the 3, they dropped it from the more expensive models)

Other car makers have no issue doing so using non-vegan leather, and I really wish Tesla had been able to keep offering a choice so the vegans could get the faux stuff, and people who live in the south could not have sweaty backs.... but I understand their whole thing is trying to streamline/simply manufacturing so having 3 seat materials wasn't what they wanted to keep up with.

The apparent inability to make durable perforated (and thus vented/cooled) seats using it seems to be very much real. (to the point they not only don't offer the feature on the 3, they dropped it from the more expensive models)

Other car makers have no issue doing so using non-vegan leather, and I really wish Tesla had been able to keep offering a choice so the vegans could get the faux stuff, and people who live in the south could not have sweaty backs.... but I understand their whole thing is trying to streamline/simply manufacturing so having 3 seat materials wasn't what they wanted to keep up with.
Um okay?

We don't know the vegan material was the issue. Didn't Tesla's real leather seats also have durability issues?

So to summarize ..
base has black cloth (textile) seats. No one here can confirm if the base interior will have any color other than black.
premium will have "vegan" leather seats. No one here confirm if the premium interior will have any color other than black.

Did I get this right?

If this is true then i am doomed. I really did not want to get a black interior 3. :mad:

I really did not want to get a black interior 3. :mad:

Patience is probably your friend here--I would imagine they will roll out a light interior as they have with the S and X once they get comfortable with adding some manufacturing complexity. Right now, as with the S and X, they seem to be looking to minimize build complexity on the early production.

Just curious, why is that?
It's nothing against veganism itself. But as an adjective, it's not often used for things where using animal products is completely unnecessary. You wouldn't expect to find vegan broccoli on a menu, though certainly it could be tossed with butter and if you were a vegan you'd probably ask that it is not. But most commonly, labeling something as vegan implies that the genuine version would require the use of animal products, but luckily for the sake of moral standards we have devised a substitute that is...tolerable.

• Informative