Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base Features Required to Seal the Deal on the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I know a lot of people are stretching to spend that much money on that small a vehicle. Wives I have surveyed roll their eyes - maybe because they wonder how this Model 3 expense is going to improve family life. What features have to be in the base model for Tesla to seal the deal on a large fraction of deposits? Here are a few thoughts:
1) Leather Seats
2) 5 kW Hands free, clutter free, galvanically isolated charger that will run off two 30 amp 110 V circuit breakers (or 10 kW off two 30 amp 220V circuit breakers)
3) Self driving on trained routes [Elon mentioned this as a first step. So the idea is trained routes are standard (no lane changes). Lane changing and full self driving are extra. The idea here is to win over the safety minded part of the family with , kind of, compulsory exercises, before pulling any brinksman like activities.]
4) As quiet as a Chevy truck at 70 mph (63 dB) or an Audi A4. (I would prefer 53dB so the rear seat passengers would not have to raise their voice to be heard.)
5) Steering that is not numb.

This demonstrates: 1) Fair deal for a $35K car, 2) Neatness, convenience and safety => harmony, 3) Safety each time one leaves for work fatigued, 4) Conversations where at least the front seat passengers are included, and 5) developed neural connections between hands and brain => improved eye hand coordination and higher social status as surgeons will drive them.

What base features are required to seal the deal for you?

To turn my deposit into an order in rough order of priority...
A UK price that doesn't rip off the UK customer. $35 as £25k not £30-35k. Hoping the exchange rate doesn't make it the latter.
A dashboard with driver display behind the wheel!!! I don't want a share-all display designed for autonomous driving!
200+ miles range as promised
Supercharging (prefer pay-per-use - it'll help the network as taxis would still hog a "pay-up-front" system.
Silver or white probably. Silver is less obvious if anyone keys it. Not that i'd park in too many dodgy areas - but don't want to risk it.
A delay of less than 1 year from the US launch. Otherwise there's going to be lots of alternatives.
I'm already pretty dissapointed it's not a "hatch-back" like the S.

• Helpful
Reactions: voip-ninja
To steal the deal it will have to be less than £40k for AWD + Larger (mid sized) battery + Sub Zero and I would really like to get 18inch wheels rather than 20 for that configuration.

Elon confirmed a while ago that base will cost £30k in UK - so that leaves just 10k for options.

As for dashboard, we might get a minimal digital speed indicator just to satisfy the various laws, but otherwise I predict the dash will be pretty minimal.

This car is going to be quite special so I am tolerant of design aspects I would not otherwise be willing to put up with e.g. limited trunk opening.

1) $35K (I still openly laugh at that notion) would probably be V-Tex Leatherette (think VW). Leather would be an option.
2) Highly unlikely the charging mechanism is going to be different than the S or X. Why would it need to be?
3) Autopilot / Autonomous will be an option.
4) Interior noise on a Model S at cruise is 70 db. http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2013-tesla-model-complete-specs.pdf 53 db? Not a chance, when their flagship model isn't anywhere near that.
5) The only unknown. I'm more worried about 'Dumb' than I am 'Numb', with the comments re: 'Spaceship'.

Interior noise on a Model S at cruise is 70 db. http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2013-tesla-model-complete-specs.pdf 53 db? Not a chance, when their flagship model isn't anywhere near that.

That Car & Driver result is with 21" tires, so that may have something to do with it, but something is still off here.

I have a GMC Duramax Diesel that is rated 68 db at 70 mph. But there is just no way that it is less noisy than the Model S - even with my 21" tires on.

This guy measured the Model S at 61.7db, which makes more sense, comparatively speaking:
Sound Levels from Edmunds test track review | Tesla Motors

But 53db would be 6db below a Rolls Royce Phantom. I think you need a Maglev for that...

For base options? Pretty much what has already been discussed:

1. Cloth or leatherette
2. 215+ mile range
3. Supercharging capable (prefer PPU vs flat fee)
4. Auto climate control, power memory seats/mirrors/etc.

That said, I'd probably option leather, pano, dual motor and autopilot.

Simple:
  • 200+ mi range
  • I like the way it looks.
  • I want quick acceleration
  • Safety features (I drive in stop and go traffic every single day, I hate it, sometimes my level of attention wanes and it's dangerous)
  • User friendly charging
  • It must make others envious of me.
That's pretty much it for me, I'm not terribly picky. To date most EVs are either ugly, slow, too expensive, or a combination of those. Model 3 will be the first actual EV that's quick, more affordable, and certainly not ugly.

For the base model, basic competencies.

Plus:
* Some way of getting long distance supercharging (i.e. not a costly option, but free not required).
* Rear window wiper, or strong evidence that it will never be needed in my climate.
* At least 175 Miles range in bad weather (I am willing to drive carefully for that).
* Serviceable without driving 175 miles.
* Maintenance costs in line with being a mass market car which people are stretching to afford.
* Display of vital information in an 'easy to read without bifocals' manner.
* Standard features not dissimilar from S and X.

Options:
* Cheap towing capability (not the $3250 in the model X)

Thank you kindly.

To turn my deposit into an order in rough order of priority...
A UK price that doesn't rip off the UK customer. $35 as £25k not £30-35k. Hoping the exchange rate doesn't make it the latter.
You are setting yourself for disappointment if you expect the price to just be a exchange rate equivalence of the US price. As others point out, in the UK you have to add VAT and you also have to add delivery/documentation charges ($1200 for Model S in the USA, likely higher in UK since it has to cross the ocean). The US advertised prices typically do not include any of this.

Just as an example, the Model S 70D is $76500 in US (with destination fees included), but £62700 in UK (VAT included, destination is separate £380).

Tesla is giving fair price, but they can't be expect to eat the extra VAT/shipping costs.

Last edited:
Reactions: melindav
Cheap towing capability (not the $3250 in the model X)
I think it is highly unlikely that the 3 will have a towing option.
Rear window wiper, or strong evidence that it will never be needed in my climate.
That also seems unlikely, given the S doesn't have that option and the rear window slope of both cars is basically the same, but I could be wrong.