Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base model 3 questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So do you think the Standard and the Partial premium interior will have over the air updates as they do not include internet browsing?
Also, do you think Tesla will allow partial individual upgrades after purchase to get access to the full maps?

Over the air updates are very slow to occur. Wi-Fi is definitely preferred.

But in any case, The features provided by the enhanced cellular connection such as browsing and satellite view are the ones you have to pay for. Things like updates and routing are still available without paying for it.

What J3’s asking is, in other words, “can you get satellite imagery for maps in the base model”. For those who don’t know, the base model is said to only come with the plain vector maps, no satellite overlay. Frankly, I love the satellite images. Vector maps are still very good, in fact, my wife prefers them. To answer the question, probably “no”. They are part of a package. It’s not explicitly called out as a software option which can be added on so I wouldn’t count on it.

I'm wondering if the SR/SR+ even have cellular capability. They have no web browser, no streaming audio, and no real time traffic in addition to no sat overlay. To me that reads wifi only.

I think what is getting lost by some of the people responding to the OPs question is, "OTA" in the way the OP is saying means CELLULAR. People are replying with "connect to wifi" and thats not the OPs question.

OP, for the most part, current model 3s do not do OTA updates over cellular unless they are considered "critical" by tesla. So, you can bet that will be the case for the standard range model 3. It will likely only get CRITICAL updates over cellular ("ota"). You will need to connect to wifi to get map updates or any "regular" firmware updates... just like the rest of Model 3 owners need to do.

Reactions: J3ThePainless