TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Base Model 3...Steel wheels with aero hubcaps that look exactly the same as the current alloy wheels

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by ratsbew, Jul 2, 2018.

1. ratsbew

ratsbew Member

The though just crossed my mind that Tesla could offer cheap steel wheels on the base Model 3 with identical looking aero covers now that people are accepting of the look. It could help shave off dollars from the cost to manufacturer.

Thoughts?

2. mblakele

mblakele (つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)つ

Yes, I've had the same thought. Maybe around the same time SR becomes configurable?

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Range/performance/handling would suffer from the extra sprung weight. They are proud of the alloy wheels they have under those covers.
    Besides, lots of people uncover them and show them off.

4. mblakele

mblakele (つ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)つ

You may be right. But I suspect all of those reasons could be transformed into demand drivers for higher-margin sport wheels.

Well, except for the bit about pride. They'd have to be proud of the extra margin, instead.

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Can you buy a BMW 3 series in USA with steel wheels? Nope... Didn't think so...

You are thinking too far downmarket I think. It isn't appropriate in this class.