TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Base Model S comes with or without Auto Pilot?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by DHG., Feb 25, 2017.

1. DHG.

DHG. Member

Does the Model S come with auto pilot if Enhanced Auto Pilot is left out and the car was ordered as a purely base model with no options selected. If so is it AP1 or AP2?

2. cdub

cdub Future Model 3 owner / Current original Leaf owner

Hardware included for full self driving in all cars.

Must purchase software option on all cars to use it

3. DHG.

DHG. Member

So you get the hardware to do autopilot but it won't do it enhanced or otherwise?

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

All cars are built now with AP2, otherwise known as enhanced autopilot. AP1 hardware ( the original autopilot) isn't used anymore. Pay now to activate, or pay more later. You can see the pricing on the Tesla web site.

• Informative x 1
  5. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

The base models gets the hardware, and some safety functions that use the hardware (like AEB, FCW, Side Monitoring, maybe some more).

The software add ons are for convenience things like EAP, and FSD.

There isn't a such thing as AP1 on a HW2 car. That was only a transitional thing, and we still haven't seen exactly what those people will end up with.

If you're taking advice I would advise going for EAP, and skipped FSD for now. I really wish they offered TACC without EAP, but they don't. With an HW1/AP1 car TACC is really the only thing in the AP1 software package that I regularly use. Everything else is premature and before it's ready. Maybe the story will be different with AP2, but that remains to be seen.

6. DHG.

DHG. Member

#6 DHG., Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    I bought my S P100D picked her up yesterday. But I was considering an X for my wife whose Audi lease is up in December. Might be good to keep one ICE vehicle though.

Anyway but basically you don't get any form of autopilot if you don't pay for it? You get the hardware but you don't get auto steer or TACC unless you pay for software?

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Correct. I don't know why you would want to keep one ICE vehicle though.

8. Spatters805

Spatters805 Member

Your explanation was very helpful. Thank you!

9. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

Quick answer: No; that is $8,000 extra before delivery, $10,000 after delivery. I am proof: I did not pay the $3,000 (I ordered before the price raise) during order; my car does not have the assistance features available (however, it does have the hardware, and I believe the shadow mode software is running on my car, but I don't actually know). There is a slight discount if you don't want "Full Self Driving", which to date, is vaporware anyway.