Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Base Model S comes with or without Auto Pilot?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The base models gets the hardware, and some safety functions that use the hardware (like AEB, FCW, Side Monitoring, maybe some more).

The software add ons are for convenience things like EAP, and FSD.

There isn't a such thing as AP1 on a HW2 car. That was only a transitional thing, and we still haven't seen exactly what those people will end up with.

If you're taking advice I would advise going for EAP, and skipped FSD for now. I really wish they offered TACC without EAP, but they don't. With an HW1/AP1 car TACC is really the only thing in the AP1 software package that I regularly use. Everything else is premature and before it's ready. Maybe the story will be different with AP2, but that remains to be seen.

The base models gets the hardware, and some safety functions that use the hardware (like AEB, FCW, Side Monitoring, maybe some more).

There isn't a such thing as AP1 on a HW2 car. That was only a transitional thing, and we still haven't seen exactly what those people will end up with.

If you're taking advice I would advise going for EAP, and skipped FSD for now. I really wish they offered TACC without EAP, but they don't. With an HW1/AP1 car TACC is really the only thing in the AP1 software package that I regularly use. Everything else is premature and before it's ready. Maybe the story will be different with AP2, but that remains to be seen.
I bought my S P100D picked her up yesterday. But I was considering an X for my wife whose Audi lease is up in December. Might be good to keep one ICE vehicle though.

Anyway but basically you don't get any form of autopilot if you don't pay for it? You get the hardware but you don't get auto steer or TACC unless you pay for software?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: crashvt
I bought my S P100D picked her up yesterday. But I was considering an X for my wife whose Audi lease is up in December. Might be good to keep one ICE vehicle though.

Anyway but basically you don't get any form of autopilot if you don't pay for it? You get the hardware but you don't get auto steer or TACC unless you pay for software?
Correct. I don't know why you would want to keep one ICE vehicle though.

Your explanation was very helpful. Thank you!

Quick answer: No; that is $8,000 extra before delivery, $10,000 after delivery. I am proof: I did not pay the $3,000 (I ordered before the price raise) during order; my car does not have the assistance features available (however, it does have the hardware, and I believe the shadow mode software is running on my car, but I don't actually know). There is a slight discount if you don't want "Full Self Driving", which to date, is vaporware anyway.