TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Based on price of fuel vs electricity here, I got 110mpg-e today...got home with 8mi

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by carrerascott, Mar 20, 2013.

1. carrerascott

carrerascott FUEL FTR

Assuming $3.80 per gallon, and our electricity is 9.5c/kWh.

I drove today from Charlottesville to Richmond and back. at the 40kWh point, I had gone just over 110 miles (40kWh = $3.80 in electricity here). Most of the driving was interstate between 70-80mph.

I ended up home with 8 miles to spare, having traveled 173 miles (started with rated 238 or so). Definitely didn't drive conservatively which is why I would have gotten only 181 out of the full charge. I guess if I had driven 55-60 (but speed limit is 70) I would have gotten better mileage.

It was 40-50F out, FYI.

20130320_112527_resized.jpg 20130320_124647_resized.jpg

2. jdesmo

jdesmo Member

For real life numbers, I would take into consideration charging efficiency (~84%), and vampire drain (~4KWH/day ). Assigning 63% of the daily vampire drain to the 110 mi section,That brings the total energy usage for that 110mi stretch to ~50KWH. That translates to ~88mpg, which is still very respectable. Here in Long Island, we pay $0.22/KWH, and premium grade is $4.50/Gal. That would translate to only 33mpg for that trip in your car!!!!!!!

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Technically, MPGe has nothing to do with price. It represents the miles you can go on a unit of energy equivalent to a gallon of gas.

One US gallon of gas has the same energy content as 33.7 kWh of electricity, so in an EV's case MPGe = Miles Per 33.7 kWh.

4. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

True but just so Scott doesn't feel bad; his MPGe was still over 90. No?

Ans he saved at least 15 bucks on the trip assuming a 20MPG ICE.