Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Basenor Model 3 Sun Shades - Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed the Basenor sun shades for the 2021 Model 3 from Amazon for $50. The 2 shades come in a zippered bag with 12 mounting clips and another bag inside with the reflective screens that you can slip on for the really hot days. In summary, they're a perfect fit and the correct ones have a "2021 MODEL 3" tag on each sun shade. The photos speak for themselves, and the end of the rear shade is curved to help with sightlines through the rear view mirror.

It's important to understand what the shades do and don't do. The roof glass is already tinted and blocks UV and heat, but the glass itself gets hot in the process and radiates heat into the cabin. Adding an aftermarket tint on the roof will not help significantly with heat, but many choose to tint it anyway for a more consistent color when looking from the inside out, especially if you're already tinting between the rear section where the factory transitions from tinted to non-tinted. Likewise, if you use an aftermarket tint on your roof glass, then I would NOT add a sun shade since the clips will scratch the tint. To avoid this, I only tinted the rear half (non-tinted portion) of the roof glass.

What the shade does is help insulate the car's interior from the heat that's radiating from the roof glass, thus reducing interior temperatures and improving passenger comfort. Another benefit of shades is that they cut down significantly the amount of reverberation (echoing) in the cabin, thereby greatly improving the soundstage of your audio system. The more dense the fabric equals the better the shade is able to accomplish both of these things. Of course, this comes at the expense of the amount of light entering the cabin and the "ambiance" / "open air" feeling you get being to look up into the sky. Another disadvantage is that the rear shade sags 1-2 inches from the glass near the headrest, so if headroom is already tight, your passengers will not like the sun shade. Thus, the brand of sun shade you choose, if you choose to use one, should be dependent on which trade-offs you're willing to accept.

IMG_20210822_114710279.jpg

IMG_20210822_114725654.jpg

IMG_20210822_114634650.jpg

Last edited:
I purchased "BASENOR Tesla Model 3 Sunshade Front & Rear Glass Roof Sun Shades with Skylight Reflective Covers Set of 4 2020 Upgarde" on Amazon.

Yes, it blocks the sun from above, but unfortunately the rear roof section SAGS AND KEEPS FALLING every once in awhile.
The reason being is that the provided plastic clips get deformed with time and lose their hold.

I have Emailed and asked Basenor "PLEASE SEND ME REPLACEMENT SETS OF CLIPS (ONE SET FOR THE FRONT AND ONE FOR THE BACK SHEILDS)" but never heard from them.

1. Not so good product
2. And even worse customer service

I purchased "BASENOR Tesla Model 3 Sunshade Front & Rear Glass Roof Sun Shades with Skylight Reflective Covers Set of 4 2020 Upgarde" on Amazon.

Yes, it blocks the sun from above, but unfortunately the rear roof section SAGS AND KEEPS FALLING every once in awhile.
The reason being is that the provided plastic clips get deformed with time and lose their hold.

I have Emailed and asked Basenor "PLEASE SEND ME REPLACEMENT SETS OF CLIPS (ONE SET FOR THE FRONT AND ONE FOR THE BACK SHEILDS)" but never heard from them.

1. Not so good product
2. And even worse customer service
FWIW, Amazon seems to have a bunch of different vendors of clips. I don't think they need to be anything special as long as they are at least big enough to hold the frame of the shade, at least for the front ones. The rear ones could possibly slide back, so it would be nice if they actually could clip on the frame and hold it rather than just block it from coming out.

I just bought a set, and they seem to be pretty sturdy, but I'm not crazy about the way the opaque section works. It has something like a velcro strip, but that doesn't hold at all, really. I think there are better brands available for more money, at least 50% more. Not sure if it's worth returning for something else, though.

I purchased the Temai and Basenor shades for 2022 Model 3. The Temai was a few bucks more, but better fit and better quality material. I got the grey color and like that it makes the cabin feel bigger. I am 6'-2" tall and no issues with headroom in the front sets. My head does hit the shade in the back seats if I sit up straight, but I slouch anyways:) Shades don't really sag, but there is a small gap as the glass roof is domed and the shade is straight, side to side. Also, the

Tamai uses magnets to attach the solid blackout sunshade, much nicer than the straps used on the Basenor that go over the corners and look crappy from insde the car. I asked Tamai why their solid blackout sunshade doesn't use reflective material like other shades, but they could not tell me. Both made the cabin feel cooler on a hot day. Also, you can see just the tip of the rear shade in the back window (see attached photo).

If drive with the windows down, i would avoid these type of roof shades. The wind makes the rattle something fierce. I though the rear shade was going to fly out.

I also purchased the Tamai window shade, and like it better than the Autoatoz window shade. The Tamai is thicker and I think fits a little better.

Attachments

• IMG_2565.JPG
    IMG_2565.JPG
    368.6 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_2565.JPG
    IMG_2565.JPG
    368.6 KB · Views: 179
  • Informative
Reactions: Not That M3
I purchased the Temai and Basenor shades for 2022 Model 3. The Temai was a few bucks more, but better fit and better quality material. I got the grey color and like that it makes the cabin feel bigger. I am 6'-2" tall and no issues with headroom in the front sets. My head does hit the shade in the back seats if I sit up straight, but I slouch anyways:) Shades don't really sag, but there is a small gap as the glass roof is domed and the shade is straight, side to side. Also, the

Tamai uses magnets to attach the solid blackout sunshade, much nicer than the straps used on the Basenor that go over the corners and look crappy from insde the car. I asked Tamai why their solid blackout sunshade doesn't use reflective material like other shades, but they could not tell me. Both made the cabin feel cooler on a hot day. Also, you can see just the tip of the rear shade in the back window (see attached photo).

If drive with the windows down, i would avoid these type of roof shades. The wind makes the rattle something fierce. I though the rear shade was going to fly out.

I also purchased the Tamai window shade, and like it better than the Autoatoz window shade. The Tamai is thicker and I think fits a little better.
Thanks to everyone for sharing your shade experiences.

@Double2

Where did you buy your Temai shades?

Thanks

A word of caution about the Temai roof shades. I bought them for my Model 3 and they work great. Unfortunately, they include a black liner to go between the white/tan shade and the roof glass. I wrote them to say this didn't make sense (black absorbing light and heat) and they said the black liner absorbs all UV light. I just used a UV lite sensor (from Vernier) and zero UV lite gets through the glass roof of a Tesla. Actually, most glass and plastics absorb UV lite and Tesla's roof seems to grab all of it. So their black liner isn't needed for absorbing UV lite-if they made it white, it would help with overheating. But black probably makes things worse. Maybe some physics experts could chime in here? The Vernier UV sensor is sorta simple and doesn't grab/sense all UV A, B, and C equally.