Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

bashed -- again!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
roadster-bashed.jpg

Time to leave the parking lot at a convenience store. Stopped, waiting for the car ahead to go. Suddenly I realize the car ahead is backing up on me!! I scramble to hit reverse and try to get my car moving away, and I reach for the horn, but there's not enough time.

The Roadster's nose went under the bumper of the Nissan Pathfinder. Damage would have been minimal if not for the tailpipe, as you can see.

The other driver seemed confused. She seemed to think we were both moving forward, and that she suddenly stopped, and then I ran into her. When asked who was at fault, she blamed the car in front of her. I never saw any car in front of her, and couldn't imagine what any such car might have done to make her back up on me.

Her passenger had a better explanation. He said, "We backed up because we forgot to get chips in the store."

We exchanged insurance info. I didn't discover until later that her policy expired in May.

This is my Roadster's second accident. The first time I backed into someone, and it was my fault. Karma?

Argh, sorry to see this. What a bummer. How's your insurance going to handle it?

Yet another reason for states that automatically revoke plates without insurance. She would have, at a minimum, known her insurance was expired, and had gotten notice from the state that her plates were invalid until she proved current coverage.

Time to leave the parking lot at a convenience store. Stopped, waiting for the car ahead to go. Suddenly I realize the car ahead is backing up on me!! I scramble to hit reverse and try to get my car moving away, and I reach for the horn, but there's not enough time.

Tony, sorry to see another Roadster with an owie. When I had my Roadster, I was in a parking garage following a concert, and was between two SUVs. We were completely stopped, when the car in a parking space on my passengers side looked into her side view mirror, saw space between two SUVs and thought someone was giving her permission to back into the traffic stream. I had no where to go. I yelled, honked the horn, I may have even screamed, but to no avail. A really slow speed owie. Your ability to have gotten to the horn may not have done any good. Good luck with the repairs and let's hope this is the last time.

We exchanged insurance info. I didn't discover until later that her policy expired in May.
The lady who ran into me had an expired card, but her insurance was still in effect. Be sure you call to file a claim with the other party's insurance. If it's actually lapsed, your un/under-insured coverage will take care of it without counting against you.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Depends on the state and your coverage. In Colorado, if you get Collision and Comprehensive, you can't also buy Uninsured Motorist coverage, so your standard deductible would apply in this case (whether it be $500 or $2,000) which you would need to sue for (ugh). Fingers crossed her insurance policy is still in effect.

This has happened to me twice. Once at a stoplight when the person in front of me stopped in the crosswalk, realized someone wanted to cross, threw it in reverse and backed into me. The other was downtown with angled parking on either side. We were stopped at a red light. Someone parked in a spot next to the person in front of me put their reverse lights on. The person in front of me decided they wanted that spot, threw it in reverse, and backed into me.

Both were cars but the fact of the matter is that the Roadster is low and it's hard to see if you don't have a backup camera - it's even worse if they're driving an SUV that is taller. I have thought about adding one of those little orange flags that the recumbent bicycles use :p

• Funny
Reactions: int32_t
Dashcam...dashcam...dashcam!

I bought a well-reviewed one from Amazon for like $75...and installed it onto the rearview mirror (a custom mount a friend and I worked out).

The cam is practically invisible when you're driving but, it's always there, always recording.

Cheap, cheap insurance.

Sorry for your loss Tony. I hope you can get it repaired without too much trouble.

Someone backed into me about a week ago. Fortunately there was no damage that we could see. Thanks to paint armor. It was a careless guy in a minivan and there was a car behind me - nowhere to go. I was looking for the horn but by the time I found it he had already hit me. The whole experience gave me a queezy feeling in my stomach for the rest of the day.

Finally got my car back from the shop yesterday. It took longer than it should since they apparently received a 1.5 front end first, then had to re-order the correct part.

I called them yesterday morning to make sure it would be ready, and I mentioned that it should be fully charged when I get it, since I had about 130 miles to go back home. "Yes of course, of course!" was the reply.

So, halfway to Austin my phone rings. . . "Uh, are you already on the way here? We have your car ready, but it's not charged up."

I knew it! I knew that somehow they would flub this simple task, even though I sent the mobile charging cable along with the car.

When I left the body shop there were 79 "ideal" miles on the display in standard mode. Obviously I would be making a long stop somewhere on the way back home. I came to rest in Bee Cave, Texas, the official West Pole of Earth (as per the Texas Legislature). The ChargePoint in front of Whole Foods was free to use, but it was only 30 Amps. So, I spent four hours wandering about on foot, exploring the area, taking photos, getting something to eat, and reading in the public library. Finally got home at 11 PM with 22 "ideal" miles to spare in standard mode.

It's a relief to have it back.

Incidentally, they were having very strange weather in Austin: sunny, cool and pleasant, but with flurries of butterflies. They were migrating, and it was almost like a butterfly storm.

Reactions: Rolf68
I called them yesterday morning to make sure it would be ready, and I mentioned that it should be fully charged when I get it, since I had about 130 miles to go back home. "Yes of course, of course!" was the reply.

So, halfway to Austin my phone rings. . . "Uh, are you already on the way here? We have your car ready, but it's not charged up."

You gotta get OVMS!

Austin SC has gotta get a CAN SR like many other service centers have! <end shameless plug>

Reactions: tvuolo