Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Basic AutoPilot on Model S Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait, you can press the blinker to change lanes with base autopilot?
I don't think so. My Model 3 didn't have that feature until I subscribed to the monthly FSD plan.

As far as I know basic Autopilot has radar cruise control and lane keeping. You have to manually change lanes, and it doesn't have Summon or Autopark. It also won't stop at stop signs or traffic lights. Navigate on Autopilot, which automatically changes lanes including taking exits based on NAV, is also not part of basic AP.

I will add that nothing in FSD is really that great. Summon is a party trick that doesn't work reliably. Lane changes executed by the car are slow and poorly executed generally. Traffic lights and stop sign recognition isn't as great as it sounds, and it stops at green lights and flashing caution lights which is a pain in the ass. Honestly there is virtually no value at all in FSD currently. I didn't pay for it on my Model 3 and I didn't include it on my Model S Plaid order either. I may do the monthly subscription for a while, and that is always an option if you want to try it out. At $200/month the subscription makes much more sense financially than an upfront payment of $10,000.

Last edited:
Reactions: BioSci
I don't think so. My Model 3 didn't have that feature until I subscribed to the monthly FSD plan.

As far as I know basic Autopilot has radar cruise control and lane keeping. You have to manually change lanes, and it doesn't have Summon or Autopark. It also won't stop at stop signs or traffic lights. Navigate on Autopilot, which automatically changes lanes including taking exits based on NAV, is also not part of basic AP.

I will add that nothing in FSD is really that great. Summon is a party trick that doesn't work reliably. Lane changes executed by the car are slow and poorly executed generally. Traffic lights and stop sign recognition isn't as great as it sounds, and it stops at green lights and flashing caution lights which is a pain in the ass. Honestly there is virtually no value at all in FSD currently. I didn't pay for it on my Model 3 and I didn't include it on my Model S Plaid order either. I may do the monthly subscription for a while, and that is always an option if you want to try it out. At $200/month the subscription makes much more sense financially than an upfront payment of $10,000.
Exactly.

Just to confirm - If you have a non-FSD refresh, are on autopilot on the freeway and trigger the turn signal, the car will not switch into the adjacent lane on its own? If so, that’s a bummer. I’ve had FSD on my Model 3 for three years and it has been completely useless, so there’s no way I’m rushing into paying the monthly for FSD for the new S. That lane change upon manual activation of the turn signal will be the one thing I miss.

Yet another reminder how sh1tty it is of Tesla not to allow owners to transfer their FSD to a new car since they bought into a promise from Tesla that has never been realized…

Just to confirm - If you have a non-FSD refresh, are on autopilot on the freeway and trigger the turn signal, the car will not switch into the adjacent lane on its own? If so, that’s a bummer. I’ve had FSD on my Model 3 for three years and it has been completely useless, so there’s no way I’m rushing into paying the monthly for FSD for the new S. That lane change upon manual activation of the turn signal will be the one thing I miss.

Yet another reminder how sh1tty it is of Tesla not to allow owners to transfer their FSD to a new car since they bought into a promise from Tesla that has never been realized…
That’s correct. No switching lane upon signal press unless you have FSD.