Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Basic cruise control stopped after update to 2020.36.16

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recently updated from an old firmware version to 2020.36.16 and the basic cruise control in my pre-AP 2014 S85 has stopped working. It was fine before the update.

Nothing happens when I move the cruise stalk when driving. It's like the car no longer has cruise fitted.

The cruise stalk is working correctly, I have put the car into factory mode and checked the inputs to the gateway on the CAN bus. I have a T-CAN tool and it shows no faults in any modules.

Anyone else had this problem or any ideas on what to do to diagnose it please?

I have a pre-AP 2014 P85 that has a potentially related cruise control issue. It turns on like normal when pressing in the stalk (as in, the amber light illuminates), but it will no longer set a cruise speed when pulling the stalk towards me (that is how cruise is normally engaged, right? Or am I going mad?). It will however set the cruise if I press up on the stalk (normally done to increase cruise speed when already engaged).

This could be a failure in the stalk somewhere, but it could be a software glitch as well. Does this describe the behavior of yours?

My software version is 2020.48.37.6. Not sure when it stopped working normally; could have been several months ago as I haven't been doing much highway travel lately. We just noticed the issue a couple of days ago.

Last edited:
I did eventually find the cause of the cruise not working after fw update. I followed the heated steering wheel retrofit guide which involved replacing the stalks and clock spring. After this the cruise worked fine but what I didn’t realise was that the new stalks did not have a cruise on/off button.
This wasn’t a problem until the fw update as the cruise was switched on. The update must have reset the cruise status and after that it didn’t work as I couldn’t turn it back on!
I found different stalks on eBay with the on/off switch and now it’s fine again.

I've recently updated from an old firmware version to 2020.36.16 and the basic cruise control in my pre-AP 2014 S85 has stopped working. It was fine before the update.

Nothing happens when I move the cruise stalk when driving. It's like the car no longer has cruise fitted.

The cruise stalk is working correctly, I have put the car into factory mode and checked the inputs to the gateway on the CAN bus. I have a T-CAN tool and it shows no faults in any modules.

Anyone else had this problem or any ideas on what to do to diagnose it please?
how do you go into factory mode