Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Basic Summon and Auopilot

Tesla needs to include basic (not Smart) Summon as a function of Autopilot.

There was a time when basic Summon was cutting edge and deserved a premium. Keeping the basic forward/backward feature as a function of Smart Summon makes it seem like a premium feature, but basic Summon no longer is. Even Hyundai includes a similar feature in its cars: Remote Smart Parking Assist.

Come on Tesla, roll basic Summon into Autopilot, it’s common these days!

BeeGood

Jan 27, 2020
Georgia
Tesla needs to include basic (not Smart) Summon as a function of Autopilot.

There was a time when basic Summon was cutting edge and deserved a premium. Keeping the basic forward/backward feature as a function of Smart Summon makes it seem like a premium feature, but basic Summon no longer is. Even Hyundai includes a similar feature in its cars: Remote Smart Parking Assist.

Come on Tesla, roll basic Summon into Autopilot, it’s common these days!

Isn’t that only available on Hyundais with higher-priced trims?

Autopilot is standard. To my knowledge, no other manufacturer includes a driver assist package like Autopilot in every single car they build. Cant get something for nothing.

But...if Tesla did start pushing feebies down, I would love auto-lane change. :cool:

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Yea. I had a Hyundai before my M3, and they wanted like $300 a year for the remote app, I doubt if the smart park is free

I know some hyundai remote stuff (hyundai blue link) also costs money. Of course, this doesnt do anything for OPs story of "even hyundai has it!" (for an additional subscription).

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
......and some say Tesla needs to add Lane Change and some say Tesla needs to add Stop Sign and Red Light stopping and some say Tesla needs to add......

Adding some or many of FSD features devalue the package.

To me it seems impressive that every Tesla sold now has AP as a standard feature and it likely hurts FSD sales by a some percentage.

No doubt that Autopilot leads the pack in automated driver assistance - and the capability is baked into the purchase price just like the higher trim version of other brands - Hyundai in this case. Anyone who doubts the benefits Autopilot provides needs to take a long road trip with it to understand just how much cognitive load it lifts.

My thought was really about where Tesla draws the line between Autopilot features and FSD. @BeeGood, I would also love to see auto-lane change pushed to Autopilot, but that seems a bridge to far at the moment. Basic Summon, though... that feels like an opportunity to me.

BeeGood

Jan 27, 2020
Georgia
My thought was really about where Tesla draws the line between Autopilot features and FSD.

That’s a fair question. Today, I believe the line is clear but that line will necessarily change sometime in the future as other manufacturers catch up to where Tesla is.

In terms of which feature would be first to push down, it seems like auto lane change makes sense as it is more of an enhancement to standard autopilot as it is today, while basic summon is an additional feature.

But who knows. Elon does unpredictable stuff all the time.

Tobeyslame

Nov 27, 2020
That’s a fair question. Today, I believe the line is clear but that line will necessarily change sometime in the future as other manufacturers catch up to where Tesla is.

In terms of which feature would be first to push down, it seems like auto lane change makes sense as it is more of an enhancement to standard autopilot as it is today, while basic summon is an additional feature.

But who knows. Elon does unpredictable stuff all the time.
Do the used 2018 models with “basic autopilot” have the updated autopilot. Or is there still an enhanced autopilot upgrade?

JulienW

Jul 7, 2018
Atlanta
Do the used 2018 models with “basic autopilot” have the updated autopilot. Or is there still an enhanced autopilot upgrade?
It is the same basic AP as you get on a 2021 Model (same OTA updated software and hardware). EAP is another package in between AP and FSD. EAP is offered from time to time (usually near the end of a quarter) but not offered now in the US. I think EAP is now offered in Europe.

DTTS

May 3, 2019
Netherlands
It is the same basic AP as you get on a 2021 Model (same OTA updated software and hardware). EAP is another package in between AP and FSD. EAP is offered from time to time (usually near the end of a quarter) but not offered now in the US. I think EAP is now offered in Europe.
It is available in The Netherlands at the moment for Eur 3800. Autolane change, summon, autopark and navigate with autopilot.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC