Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Basics question about solar powering Tesla Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After owning solar panels for a year, I know I should know this question but I don’t. I had always assumed that we should power the Tesla during the day when the sun is out or do laundry, etc. But I was recently told by my friend that it doesn’t matter when you’re charging because you’re ending all your electricity to the grid at SCE.

Is this true? Because I’d that is the case, I’d have to relook at my TOU plan.

Thanks for letting me ask my super noob question.

If you dont have powerwalls (does not sound like you do), the electricity is used first by the house instantly, and if there is excess, it goes to the grid. Charging your car is part of your home consumption, so if you charge while the sun is shining and you are generating power, no, you are not always sending all your electricity to the grid at SCE.

Hi @jjrandorin !! So it behooves me to use electricity during the day when the panels are generating electricity. Yes, we don't have a Powerwall. Thank you again!

If you are trying to use your solar to charge your car, yes, I would charge your car during the day (as long as you were not charging during a peak TOU time).

Reactions: Momvivant