TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Batch Invite Timing

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by toothfixeralex, Sep 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. toothfixeralex

It seems pretty likely that today will be when they open up the configurator for October deliveries. It seems there was a soft release of information last week with the battery guide, emergency response guide, behind the scenes updates to the configurator, and current Model 3 owners who had be very tight lipped in the past started opening up.

Add to that the fact that we haven't had anyone report a slipping of their Oct-Dec delivery estimates. Plus I've seen a post or two from people who "claim" to have inside info that today is the day. I think that all adds up to today being the real first day of ordering.

I know on the Model X they would do the batch invitations on Mondays. They'd give people 7 days to configure then invite the next batch the following Monday.

Any current X owners remember (or can look back) to see what time of day the configurator opened? I'm assuming all the web support people are in PDT and will want to re-test and re-validate all the backend is ready. My guess is we see the e-mails this afternoon/evening (2-5pm PDT).

Thoughts?

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf Member

It's entirely possible. If they do aim for the first customer deliveries to happen in October then I would expect config invites to go out either sometime this week or next. Having cars configured at least 3-4 weeks before they're built seems logical to me.

3. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

During the X configuration era, the configuration email would come in around 3:30 PM but the design studio was available on MyTesla a little bit earlier.

It was every Monday where more reservation holders were given access

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

I'm assuming 3:30pm PT?

5. McManX

McManX Member

Yah I can confirm what @K-MTG said. I noticed the configurator for the model X opened an hour or so earlier, then I got the email around 3 or 4 pm pacific time. It was a very exciting day.

• Like x 1
  6. CheeseJam

CheeseJam Member

I was wondering if you could shoot me a link to these posts? Thanks!

7. nikeykid

nikeykid Member

f5 f5 f5 f5 f5 f5 f5 f5 f5

• Funny x 11
    • Like x 2
  8. K-MTG

Command R - Mac users

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  9. ModelNforNerd

If you want to automate the process:

giphy-downsized.gif

• Funny x 8
  10. VIKING26

VIKING26 Member

And how did that work out for Homer?
    In the end he did help to "turn a possible Chernobyl into a mere Three Mile Island" if memory serves me correctly.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  11. jhs_7645

jhs_7645 VIN: #3305

I sure hope so.. It's also possible (somebody else's good point.. not mine) that since Tesla only has a limited number of configurations, they can build them all and just send you the car you configure without doing build-to-order. If that was the case, the only reason to open the configurator 3-4 weeks in advance would be to line up shipping / demand / etc...

• Like x 1
  12. ModelNforNerd

So in this scenario: Chernobyl = not getting my car until 2019, while Three Mile Island = early 2018....

I'll take it!!

• Like x 2
  13. toothfixeralex

The other thing to remember is that we’re talking 3 different things.

1) Ordering
    2) Production
    3) Delivery

All 3 steps take time. If they want to get deliveries started in October then they have to start ordering/production at least 3 weeks early.

We can pretty safely assume that they are stockpiling cars based on the production ramp vs current deliveries. I’ve seen a VIN around 319 (can’t rememe exactly) that was Red with White interior. Figure that means from July to now they’ve delivered around 300 they’ve either fallen behind on ramp or there’s a large lag in deliveries.

Plus we’ve seen posts of VINs in 200s being produced in July/August. That’s about 4-5 weeks from production to delivery.

All that adds up to what I think has to be an initial burst of configuring this week or next week at the latest if they hope to hit an October delivery.

Having said that, deliveries wouldn’t be “slipping” unless Owners didn’t get their cars by the end of December as the estimates are ranges (Oct-Dec)

• Helpful x 1
  14. smak

smak Member

A little too soon for Model Y

• Funny x 6
  15. K-MTG

Who else can't focus at work?

• Like x 7
  16. ModelNforNerd

I was thinking: "Do you want your car now? Y or N"

• Informative x 1
  17. McManX

McManX Member

I am very excited that I will soon get to click 'I am waiting for AWD'

• Funny x 4
  18. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Member

People tend to be pretty particular about things like the color of their car. I guess it would come down to Tesla saying "you can get your car end of October as long as you are okay with red or black, if you want any other color you have to wait another 3-4 weeks". Would be a pretty ballsy move, even for them.

19. DrivingRockies

The annoying thing is I feel compelled to check both the reservation site and the estimated delivery site. I wish it was one. :)

20. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

Not sure that would be the case (if you're serious), we're seen employee delivery cars in all the colors, and the paint shop is probably not the bottleneck...

• Like x 2