Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Batch Invite Timing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems pretty likely that today will be when they open up the configurator for October deliveries. It seems there was a soft release of information last week with the battery guide, emergency response guide, behind the scenes updates to the configurator, and current Model 3 owners who had be very tight lipped in the past started opening up.

Add to that the fact that we haven't had anyone report a slipping of their Oct-Dec delivery estimates. Plus I've seen a post or two from people who "claim" to have inside info that today is the day. I think that all adds up to today being the real first day of ordering.

I know on the Model X they would do the batch invitations on Mondays. They'd give people 7 days to configure then invite the next batch the following Monday.

Any current X owners remember (or can look back) to see what time of day the configurator opened? I'm assuming all the web support people are in PDT and will want to re-test and re-validate all the backend is ready. My guess is we see the e-mails this afternoon/evening (2-5pm PDT).

Thoughts?

It's entirely possible. If they do aim for the first customer deliveries to happen in October then I would expect config invites to go out either sometime this week or next. Having cars configured at least 3-4 weeks before they're built seems logical to me.

Command R - Mac users

If you want to automate the process:

giphy-downsized.gif

It's entirely possible. If they do aim for the first customer deliveries to happen in October then I would expect config invites to go out either sometime this week or next. Having cars configured at least 3-4 weeks before they're built seems logical to me.

I sure hope so.. It's also possible (somebody else's good point.. not mine) that since Tesla only has a limited number of configurations, they can build them all and just send you the car you configure without doing build-to-order. If that was the case, the only reason to open the configurator 3-4 weeks in advance would be to line up shipping / demand / etc...

Reactions: brkaus
The other thing to remember is that we’re talking 3 different things.

1) Ordering
2) Production
3) Delivery

All 3 steps take time. If they want to get deliveries started in October then they have to start ordering/production at least 3 weeks early.

We can pretty safely assume that they are stockpiling cars based on the production ramp vs current deliveries. I’ve seen a VIN around 319 (can’t rememe exactly) that was Red with White interior. Figure that means from July to now they’ve delivered around 300 they’ve either fallen behind on ramp or there’s a large lag in deliveries.

Plus we’ve seen posts of VINs in 200s being produced in July/August. That’s about 4-5 weeks from production to delivery.

All that adds up to what I think has to be an initial burst of configuring this week or next week at the latest if they hope to hit an October delivery.

Having said that, deliveries wouldn’t be “slipping” unless Owners didn’t get their cars by the end of December as the estimates are ranges (Oct-Dec)

• Helpful
Reactions: Waiting4M3
I sure hope so.. It's also possible (somebody else's good point.. not mine) that since Tesla only has a limited number of configurations, they can build them all and just send you the car you configure without doing build-to-order. If that was the case, the only reason to open the configurator 3-4 weeks in advance would be to line up shipping / demand / etc...

People tend to be pretty particular about things like the color of their car. I guess it would come down to Tesla saying "you can get your car end of October as long as you are okay with red or black, if you want any other color you have to wait another 3-4 weeks". Would be a pretty ballsy move, even for them.

People tend to be pretty particular about things like the color of their car. I guess it would come down to Tesla saying "you can get your car end of October as long as you are okay with red or black, if you want any other color you have to wait another 3-4 weeks". Would be a pretty ballsy move, even for them.
Not sure that would be the case (if you're serious), we're seen employee delivery cars in all the colors, and the paint shop is probably not the bottleneck...