Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Batter drain from preconditioning while unplugged in cold weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I don't think this question has been asked. I'm directing it more to MY owners in colder climates.
How much battery drain is there when preconditioning a MYLR while unplugged in cold weather?
Say I'm off skiing for like 6 hours and need to drive 50 miles to get home.... if I were to precondition while unplugged and the temp is below like -15C (5F?), how much drain could I expect?
I know I don't NEED to precondition, but would like to have an idea of what the drain might be.

Usually 1 to 2 %, for up to 15 minutes. In extreme cold ~3% if you extend the preconditioning period. You can turn on the seat heaters and the steering wheel heater via the Tesla app. The battery won't be fully warmed until you start driving but you will have some regen. If there is snow and ice on the vehicle brush it off before turning on the windshield defroster, rear window defroster for better defrosting results. Tap twice on the windshield defroster control in the Tesla app or from the Climate Control screen in the Tesla vehicle so the icon turns red, indicating it is set for maximum defrosting.

Usually 1 to 2 %, for up to 15 minutes. In extreme cold ~3% if you extend the preconditioning period. You can turn on the seat heaters and the steering wheel heater via the Tesla app. The battery won't be fully warmed until you start driving but you will have some regen. If there is snow and ice on the vehicle brush it off before turning on the windshield defroster, rear window defroster for better defrosting results. Tap twice on the windshield defroster control in the Tesla app or from the Climate Control screen in the Tesla vehicle so the icon turns red, indicating it is set for maximum defrosting.

I'm seeing similar results in the North East. I mostly only precondition for my daughter's comfort, doesn't seem worth while if only doing it for better regen.

Reactions: Volleyballmom