Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Batter range reduction after updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After updated software to 2019.24.4 last night, my 90% charge shows range of 339 km. WTF?!

when first I got the car, it showed 345 km, after an update it showed 341km, and after last night update it shows 339km! WTF??

I lost 6km since the first time I got the car a moons ago or so! I am getting nervous now.....what the heck they are doing? Taking km away from existing cars few KM every update so that people are forced to buy LR version?!?!

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
I don’t think they took range away with the update, it’s likely some phantom drain. I also got my car 2 months ago and had 345 in the morning after charging to 90%. Since connecting to multiple apps (stats, Teslafi, TezLab) I’ve noticed more phantom drain. Depending on what time I leave in the morning I’ll have 341, 340, 339, 338. My change your charge time so that it finishes closer to the time you leave?

I don’t think they took range away with the update, it’s likely some phantom drain. I also got my car 2 months ago and had 345 in the morning after charging to 90%. Since connecting to multiple apps (stats, Teslafi, TezLab) I’ve noticed more phantom drain. Depending on what time I leave in the morning I’ll have 341, 340, 339, 338. My change your charge time so that it finishes closer to the time you leave?

Actually that is what I have been doing. I set the time to finish charge very close to before I leave. I don’t have any third party app installed. When the charge is complete, it stays plugged in until I leave in the morning. I used to be getting consistent 345 km. After an update I got consistent 341km every day. After update last night, I got 339km!?!

I understand if it fluctuates everyday due to phantom everyday but I get consistent number every day.

That's normal. Range is an estimate and depends on lots if things. The car will try to make a good estimate and also keep the range display half way consistent so people don't freak out over fluctuations. 4 km is well within the margin of error.

But also, that's what's going to happen from now one. The older your car gets the more the range will drop. Slowly and gradually but it will happen.

That's normal. Range is an estimate and depends on lots if things. The car will try to make a good estimate and also keep the range display half way consistent so people don't freak out over fluctuations. 4 km is well within the margin of error.

But also, that's what's going to happen from now one. The older your car gets the more the range will drop. Slowly and gradually but it will happen.
I understand if the range fluctuates everyday when I wake the car up in the morning. However, like I said, I got 345km every single day without any variation when first I got the car (charged to 90%). After second software update I noticed the range showed 341km (charged to 90%) every single day without any variations. Third update last night, and I wake the car up in the morning before I go to work it showed 339km (charged to 90%). Now how you explain the range consistency everyday and then only changed after software update? My routine is the same every week. Car is parked overnight in indoor garage at my house.

I understand if the range fluctuates everyday when I wake the car up in the morning. However, like I said, I got 345km every single day without any variation when first I got the car (charged to 90%). After second software update I noticed the range showed 341km (charged to 90%) every single day without any variations. Third update last night, and I wake the car up in the morning before I go to work it showed 339km (charged to 90%). Now how you explain the range consistency everyday and then only changed after software update? My routine is the same every week. Car is parked overnight in indoor garage at my house.

How long did you have your car?

Here is a graph of the range of my car over 3 years and 150k miles. There is no way to directly measure battery capacity. The BMS is estimating based on a lot of secondary data and factors. There will always be fluctuations and then plateaus.

batteryReport.PNG

Reactions: KenC
I got my MR on 18 March 2019. Got 425km all the time until July 2nd @ 415km. Then stayed at 415km for about 2.5 weeks until 25 July or 26 July @ 410km. 2 days later, it dropped to 405km. So the 415 to 405 happened very quickly in about couple days only. Basically, the range dropped from 425 - 415 - 410 - 405 in about 25 days of time.

Yesterday, I drove the car down to 23% and charged it to 95% to try to rebalance the cells. The range is now back to 411km. Funny thing is, when the car was being charged last night, the rated range fluctuated from 404km - 417 km from time to time.

It's not cell balancing, it's recalibrating the BMS. Energy capacity in a battery can't be directly measured. The BMS makes estimates on many data points and keeping track of energy that went in and out. Especially in the middle of the charge level that method doesn't work as accurate. Charging and discharging from and to low / high helps the BMS get a better estimate. Tesla explained that in an email a few years ago when, back then, concerned Model S/X owners sow their range drop and fluctuate.

After updated software to 2019.24.4 last night, my 90% charge shows range of 339 km.
That's just too short of a time to make any assumptions about what is going on. One night is not a trend. Suggest taking your measurements over a much longer period of time and mileage.
Agree with Ewoo, not worth worrying about such a small change, especially in such a short period of time. :)

Reactions: David99
That's just too short of a time to make any assumptions about what is going on. One night is not a trend. Suggest taking your measurements over a much longer period of time and mileage.
Agree with Ewoo, not worth worrying about such a small change, especially in such a short period of time. :)

It is not only one night/event. I put the detail on my first post.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Although the rated range is now sitting at 407km (257miles), I can very easily get >=200w/Mi on my daily drive especially when we have heat warning issued in Toronto recently. Wondering whether its also due to BMS miscalculation when the battery is rated at 257miles while in fact it is actually 264 miles?