Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Batteries and the environment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You would produce less emissions driving a conventional car burning gas than driving an EV if electricity were generated by coal.

Elon had a blog post up refuting that for a while. His arguments included better centralized emission controls at the power plant and the higher efficiency of an electric motor compared to an ICE. The post was pulled down and I believe he had said he wanted to re-work and refine the numbers.

In a post elsewhere today, it was indicated that the Model S averaged 447 Wh/mi over a two year period including vampire losses. For the best state, Vermont, CO2 emissions are 0.77 grams/kWh. For the worst state, Kentucky, CO2 emissions are 957 g/kWh. So emissions are going to range anywhere from 0.3 g/mi to 428 g/mi depending on the power company.

The purpose of my posts are to point out that there are emissions associated with electricity and that coal powered plants are the worst offenders, so if you are interested in reducing emissions, you might want to know what your power company is doing about it. In my case, I have a choice of the source of power generation, i.e. wind farms.

The quote "You would produce less emissions driving a conventional car burning gas than driving an EV if electricity were generated by coal" is a summary of the report I posted earlier. I am not an expert, so I cannot validate that claim.

In a post elsewhere today, it was indicated that the Model S averaged 447 Wh/mi over a two year period including vampire losses. For the best state, Vermont, CO2 emissions are 0.77 grams/kWh. For the worst state, Kentucky, CO2 emissions are 957 g/kWh. So emissions are going to range anywhere from 0.3 g/mi to 428 g/mi depending on the power company.

The purpose of my posts are to point out that there are emissions associated with electricity and that coal powered plants are the worst offenders, so if you are interested in reducing emissions, you might want to know what your power company is doing about it. In my case, I have a choice of the source of power generation, i.e. wind farms.

The quote "You would produce less emissions driving a conventional car burning gas than driving an EV if electricity were generated by coal" is a summary of the report I posted earlier. I am not an expert, so I cannot validate that claim.

You have most of the data right here, and the rest is conveniently collated and made easily accessible by your friendly government. It's a shame you didn't finish the thought...

So your worst case Model S situation is 428 grams per mile with vampire losses? Here are four of the cars that have been losing a lot of ground to the model S (at least, from what I've read.) Since your model S was a non-performance 85 on 19s, I went with the base engines and the more luxurious cars from the various makes:

BMW 740i: 396 g/mi
Audi A8: 420 g/mi
Mercedes S550: 444 g/mi
Lexus LS 460: 460 g/mi

That's all at the tailpipe, mind you - no penalties taken for drilling, refining, or transport, no consideration of volatiles leaked out during storage or refueling, no consideration for spills.

It looks like the EPA has added an option for upstream since the last time I used the tool. That adds about 100 g/mi to each car...

So a Model S charging in the worst state in the US is about as clean as the competition on their best day and ignoring the upstream.

Interestingly, the EPA now has a tool for emissions for EVs, too - when I added a Model S to that list, while it didn't load anything in line, it gave me a calculator link. I keyed in a downtown Louisville Zip from online (40202) and this is what I got... 270 g/mi according to the EPA.

As I told you before, the study used a very creative value of "conventional car" to make it true.
Walter

Last edited:
In a post elsewhere today, it was indicated that the Model S averaged 447 Wh/mi over a two year period including vampire losses.
Yes, that would be here:
Estimated gas savings - Page 3

He lives in Canada -- where they have really cold winters. His previous conventional gas car averaged 21 mph which is about 520g CO2 per mile.

For the best state, Vermont, CO2 emissions are 0.77 grams/kWh. For the worst state, Kentucky, CO2 emissions are 957 g/kWh. So emissions are going to range anywhere from 0.3 g/mi to 428 g/mi depending on the power company.
I'm going to guess that Kentucky is warmer in the winter on average than Toronto so it's not valid to take this one guy's experience and apply it to cars being driven by other people elsewhere. The CO2 grid number of 957g per kWh is somewhat higher than what EPA is using for fueleconomy.gov where a location of Lexington, Kentucky is estimated to emit 270g per mile for an S85 Model S. Of course, Tesla drivers might be more inclined to buy a Maserati than an average conventional car if they weren't buying an EV. Every model of Maserati is about twice the CO2 emissions of an S85 in Kentucky (or worse), according to fueleconomy.gov.

That's a good reason, but you are consistently ascribing the worst possible CO2 emissions scenarios to EVs.

I believe that claim is not based on the emissions of driving the car. I think it is based on calculations that include the "CO2 debt" of manufacturing the car and amortizing that debt over some assumed number of miles in addition to actual driving emissions.

You are quoting that claim from the Climate Central report that you linked to earlier in this thread. As I pointed out, that report is deeply flawed and is unreliable. Did you follow my handy links to read the various ways in which that report is flawed? Such as apparently double-counting the CO2 emissions of manufacturing the battery pack by including it in the overall weight of the car from which they impute an assumed CO2 emitted per pound of vehicle weight? The battery pack on a Model S weighs at least 1,000 pounds....

And then they separately count the manufacturing CO2 of the battery pack and use an assumption that is 4.3 times the amount found by a careful Argonne National Laboratory study that sought to evaluate the large differences in CO2 emissions of manufacturing batteries by previous studies including the one relied upon by Climate Central.

Of the several major studies of battery manufacturing CO2 emissions, the Climate Central authors chose to use the study that showed the highest emissions without acknowledging the other studies or the fact that they showed far less battery manufacturing emissions. The conflicts between the studies were known to the Climate Central authors because it is clearly stated in the abstract of the study they chose to use but Climate Central somehow failed to pass that along in their main article or its footnotes.

The actual emissions for manufacturing future cells at the Tesla Gigafactory in Nevada will be even lower due to increased efficiency (that's how they are reducing cell cost) and I believe there will also be a large solar panel array offsetting factory grid use.

Finally, the Climate Central report assumes the batteries are thrown away at the end of the amortized "miles driven" period. In reality, most owners will probably continue driving on the pack past that period (was it 100,000 miles?, I have to look it up again). Even if they got a replacement pack, their old pack is highly likely to continue being used for some purpose for several more years since it will still function well for other uses. Eventually, the ANL report states that it may be possible to cut the effective manufacturing CO2 emissions of the batteries by half by recycling them using known techniques. The potential for recycling is not included in the ANL study's primary CO2 result.

Last edited:
Yes, that would be here:
He lives in Canada -- where they have really cold winters. His previous conventional gas car averaged 21 mph which is about 520g CO2 per mile.

Yes, this is only one data point. In order to compare with another car, you would have to drive that car under similar conditions. Cold winters greatly impact the amount of energy used. It can take almost twice as much energy to drive in the winter vs. in the summer. I have no idea how the tail pipe emissions were calculated for the other cars listed. The actual emissions will vary greatly depending on driving conditions. All I can say is from this data point is that if you are concerned with emissions, you want to stay away from coal.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by lphe viewpost-right.png

I believe that claim is not based on the emissions of driving the car. I think it is based on calculations that include the "CO2 debt" of manufacturing the car and amortizing that debt over some assumed number of miles in addition to actual driving emissions.

You are quoting that claim from the Climate Central report that you linked to earlier in this thread. As I pointed out, that report is deeply flawed and is unreliable. Did you follow my handy links to read the various ways in which that report is flawed?

I could have perhaps expressed my summary of the report better. If you are using coal to generate electricity, you are fighting a losing battle. Coal generates significantly more emissions than other fossil fuels. If it generates 1.6 times more emissions than oil, then you are going to have to be 1.6 times more efficient using the energy that is generated. Why even play that game? Simply don't use coal to generate electricity in the first place. And that is where most of the country is headed.

If you are using coal to generate electricity, you are fighting a losing battle. Coal generates significantly more emissions than other fossil fuels. If it generates 1.6 times more emissions than oil, then you are going to have to be 1.6 times more efficient using the energy that is generated. Why even play that game? Simply don't use coal to generate electricity in the first place. And that is where most of the country is headed.
I certainly agree with that!

The data from fueleconomy.gov uses the EPA window sticker ratings for fossil fuel and/or battery power. Gas estimates are calculated based on tailpipe emissions which are 19.4 pounds CO2 per gallon of gas or tailpipe plus "upstream emissions" such as the CO2 emissions due to the energy used in the refinery process which is a total of about 24 pounds CO2 per gallon of gasoline (4.6 pounds upstream emissions plus 19.4 pounds). The electricity emissions are taken from an EPA database called eGrid based on the average emissions from power plants in your regional interconnected grid based on the zipcode you enter. In addition, they add in the losses associated with transmission to an average customer (about a 6% loss) and an assumed upstream average emissions overhead of 10%.

I could have perhaps expressed my summary of the report better. If you are using coal to generate electricity, you are fighting a losing battle. Coal generates significantly more emissions than other fossil fuels. If it generates 1.6 times more emissions than oil, then you are going to have to be 1.6 times more efficient using the energy that is generated. Why even play that game? Simply don't use coal to generate electricity in the first place. And that is where most of the country is headed.
Yes coal sucks, but that doesn't change that it's a bad report that uses ridiculous assumptions. For example they claim EVs are better than the best hybrids in only 10 states, but in the fine print say "over the first 50000 miles". The low mileage assumption was also the same assumption that a previous report used to say that the Hummer was cleaner than the Prius over its lifecycle.

In a post elsewhere today, it was indicated that the Model S averaged 447 Wh/mi over a two year period including vampire losses.

That was me. It was in the context of how much actual electricity I used as a result of the car, not just the amount of electricity used to propel the car as reported by the car's trip meters. It is based on metering the power going into the car which also reflects charging inefficiencies, running the pumps and heaters or HVAC to "condition" the battery as well as the standby losses etc.

In the context of what is being discussed here, I feel it might not be "apples to apples". Some of the carbon intensity numbers for other cars being quoted, I'm guessing, are based on the car's reported fuel efficiency, not "real world" efficiency. Just as I have shown my Model S uses more electricity, most ICE car owners will realize that they rarely achieve the government calculated efficiency either. Many Model S owners will pre-heat their cars on shore power, just as ICE car owners will often use remote starters or otherwise run their cars to warm them up before driving. All of this will skew the comparison mumbers. If we're going to compare one car's carbon intensity to another, it's probably best to use the established fuel efficiency numbers unless we have actual "real world" numbers for all cars in the comparison.

Environmental impact of batteries compared to what? Gas powered cars that are 1/3 as efficient from an energy perspective, and spew out gases so toxic that it is a stereotypical way for people to kill themselves (leave engine running in a closed garage).

Toxicity is not what kills. One suffocates. CO is not toxic, its just that the body confuses CO with O2 and one suffocates.

Go to Beijing and breathe the air there for a day and report back to me what you think of the environmental impact of the alternative to batteries is like.

Even so, consider the average lifespan in Beijing today with 50 years ago. The air was cleaner then but people are living longer today. China is bootstrapping their economy and technology to where they can afford nicer things.

As far as conservative folks giving you static, well, I resemble that remark (I'm as conservative as they come). And it is true that many conservatives haven't seen the light, have built in prejudices (which are reinforced by right wing media - I know, I read it), and have a fairly closed mind about EVs in general. There are many reasons for this and I could write for a long time about this. Suffice it to say that calmly bringing up reasonable arguments is the way to go. And get them to test drive a Tesla :)

I think there is a problem confusing conservative with right-wing. And confusing liberal with leftist and/or progressive. Prior to Obama, Richard Nixon was the most liberal president ever.

Toxicity is not what kills. One suffocates. CO is not toxic, its just that the body confuses CO with O2 and one suffocates.

A distinction lost on a dead person.

Even so, consider the average lifespan in Beijing today with 50 years ago. The air was cleaner then but people are living longer today. China is bootstrapping their economy and technology to where they can afford nicer things.

I agree, but that doesn't negate my point that the pollution is really bad in Beijing and does shorten lifespans there. My overall point is that gas powered car pollute a lot more than electric ones.

I think there is a problem confusing conservative with right-wing. And confusing liberal with leftist and/or progressive. Prior to Obama, Richard Nixon was the most liberal president ever.

I must not be smart enough to understand your point here?

So, did you just not like my post and decide to nit pick it death, or do you always do this?