Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Batteries car vs. phones

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we have for years been taught by Tesla that it is NOT good to routinely charge our car batteries to 100% unless you're taking a lot trip a couple of hours later.

Which got me to thinking.

Our phones and other devices that use batteries ... we charge them overnight all the time to 100%.

Are we prematurely degrading those batteries?

And ... is there a way to have our phones only charge to 80%?

I just picked up a brand new Samsung 8+ and its battery lasts about a day longer than my 2 year old Samsung 6.

Are we prematurely degrading those batteries?
Yes. If you can avoid keeping the battery above 80% for long periods of time and hot temperatures, your battery will retain capacity longer, just like your car battery.

Unfortunately, neither iOS or Android supports the ability to artificially limit the maximum state of charge that I am aware of. It would be nice if laptops did as well.

Feel free to disagree but it's mostly the heat. Charge to some percentage, disconnect and let batteries cool down then reconnect; rinse and repeat; The ability to do this programatically would be ideal and not that difficult assuming one has a temperature sensor on the batteries being charged. Unfortunately people are impatient and want "everything now" so "fast charging" has become "important" at the expense of shorter battery lifespan and more sales of new batteries for the manufactures (or suppliers).

As a side note; if the battery is not so depleted, it will charge towards 100% faster and not get as hot too :)

A simple max charge % at (select times in 1 hr increments) would be nice. Most people could use it on a set sleeping schedule. Kinda like charging a car right before leaving for work.

Also setting app updates to only start when charging and above a set percentage. I turned off app updates because there are times it is almost dead or I am getting ready to leave to go out. Plug in phone for a quick charge and it is now updating 15 apps and i'm leaving in 20 mins.

Hijacking my own thread ... the WORST is when traveling ... you leave your laptop running for weeks ... then ... leave for airport.
Windows says sorry ... have 200 updates for you ... do NOT turn off your computer.
But ... my flight ...

Thanks for recommendation for app. Will look into it. Problem is, like most of us, I let it charge when sleeping so the notification would wake me up!

I several have batteries for Drills, Garden equipment, and so on. All the chargers are in the utility room and when needed are connected to a "push-timer" - the push-button goes up in logarithmic increments, 1/4 hour, 1/2 hour, 1hr, 2hr. I charge the batteries for whatever I consider to be about 50% of the normal charge - usually they are not completely flat. Then before I have a job to do I put them on charge to 100% so I have plenty of charge for the job. If I have a small job to do they will have enough charge, of course, but "cutting the hedge" or "strimming around the trees" might well be job that I have been postponing! but it certainly doesn't take me by surprise

FWIW I have similar logarithmic push-timer on hot water immersion and central heading override, and I keep meaning to install one with several hundred ;)... USB connectors for when all the kids come round and all need my electricity to charge their phones ... come to think of it I might add a Coin Slot to that one too :p

Reactions: CalBlue 85D