TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Batteries for key fob remote

Discussion in 'Tesla Parts for Sale' started by pgwoosley, Jun 4, 2010.

1. pgwoosley

pgwoosley Member

#1 pgwoosley, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
    The batteries for the ROADSTER key fob remote are CR1616 -- two required for each fob. A pair can be purchased through Amazon for $2.68 each with free shipping (with no minimum purchase). The seller through Amazon is MYBATTERYSUPPLIER.

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Store does it for free.

3. TsRocket

TsRocket Member

Do we know how long the S batteries are lasting? Roughly?

4. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Store?

5. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

The manual says: "The key's battery lasts for approximately a year" on page 7 which also says the replacement is CR2032 (not CR1616 as stated above).

I assume vfx means the Tesla store.

Yikes, here I am reading the manual and talking about battery replacement for the remote and I don't even get my car until Feb!

6. pgwoosley

pgwoosley Member

When I started this thread, the closest Tesla location was over 1,000 miles away, so changing the batteries myself made more sense than going to a Tesla location.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently the Roadster and Model S use different key fob batteries.

7. Lump

Lump Active Member

Not free anymore, I got charged $6 this morning for one, I didn't complain too much since I was already in the hole for 2 new tires because of nail\screws $650 :cursing:

8. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

I started to notice reduced "handle auto present" range at about 6 months... i wonder if this is from a battery that's starting to lose it's juice...

I'll just mention what's been pointed out here: Buying a spare replacement battery now, and stashing in the glove compartment is a great idea. If you are somewhere without a replacement and your fob battery dies you won't be ale to drive it. You will, however, be able to use your smartphone to unlock the car and retrieve your spare...

9. tomas

tomas Traded in 9 rep bars for M3, used to be somebody!

+1, Great minds think alike, one in my glove compartment too. PS, you do not need to use phone app… as it says in user manual a juice free fob will still open car if you put it up by windshield wiper base. PPS, It is FOR SURE CR2032

10. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

It's been mentioned around here a couple of times that it didn't seem to always work.... but the folks weren't sure they were doing it completely correctly. But you are right, the manual does claim that will work... another good method to remember for getting at your spare fob battery...

11. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

OMG! What if the press gets hold of this information? I can see tomorrow's headlines now, "Tesla battery life is only one year!" And another hit on TSLA stock. :smile:

CR2032's are a good choice and dirt cheap. Often 5 for $2 including shipping. OTOH 12 months is sad. Only one in my Toyota Smart Key which works just like the Tesla key. Still on my 2nd at 7 years. Mercedes-Benz uses two CR2025's in my KEYLESS-GO key (M-B needs to hire someone to name things) which also seem to last about 3 or 4 years.

Looks like I'll be spending the money saved on gasoline for key fob batteries. :smile: