Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery always preconditioning in cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As for example, last trip to the mountain cottage I did it was freezing (-3 to -4°C) with strong wind and snowing, the consumption was crazy up to 350Wh/km. Later on the highway it settled down around 250Wh/km (I had to slow down to approx 115kph as was not entirely sure with how much % will I arrive, the estimation started on 22% and went quickly down, also the highway was covered by thin layer of snow). Finally I did 180km drive for approx 60% of SOC.
Here is one interesting feature that Tesla have introduced on the app. I believe it’s under Service>Vehicle Rage. It is available only two days after your drive so you have to remember this if wanting to compare your range vs. EPA estimate.
This my exampe is from very hard winter conditions drive, storm weather with up to 27mph upwind and freezing conditions (-15°C). My route is not in the mountains so it’s reasonable flat driving. Unfortunately I missed the data from my return trip as it was pretty much the same but with same amount of tailwind.

F36EAB2F-94F7-464E-A290-EC5DB2B751E1.jpeg

DAC3BB5C-B023-4017-8FE5-70F1BB795ED8.jpeg

Sorry that I didn’t read every single reply but here’s my opinion:
How about you don’t waste energy heating your pack. For shorter trips the cost is way more than the minuscule benefit of regen. For long trip your battery will heat up eventually. You can turn on the “use physical brake in place of regen” in recent update. The set of brake pads is way cheaper than early degradation of the pack.

It's not just heating to enable regen. It's heating to not permanently destroy your cells. High current discharging below freezing is extremely bad, can kill a cell rapidly. Let Tesla manage the cells, they do it better than anyone else.

Personally, I don't drive until the battery preheating icon shuts off, plugged in or not.

It's like driving an ICE car cold soaked to -15°C at full throttle with no warm up. No one would ever do that. Same thing, different execution.

But don't listen to me, only been engineering battery's since 2016, stationary back up power, thermal management, and lately e-bikes and scooters. WTF do I know.

Reactions: vcor
It's not just heating to enable regen. It's heating to not permanently destroy your cells. High current discharging below freezing is extremely bad, can kill a cell rapidly. Let Tesla manage the cells, they do it better than anyone else.

Personally, I don't drive until the battery preheating icon shuts off, plugged in or not.

It's like driving an ICE car cold soaked to -15°C at full throttle with no warm up. No one would ever do that. Same thing, different execution.

But don't listen to me, only been engineering battery's since 2016, stationary back up power, thermal management, and lately e-bikes and scooters. WTF do I know.
Ohhhh look at you getting all worked up for some minor details on an Internet forum. Craving for recognition for your little “engineering expertise”? Did I say ANYTHING about discharge side? Of course I’m not going to be like a fool who floors the pedal when it’s negative degrees out.

Reactions: doghousePVD
Ohhhh look at you getting all worked up for some minor details on an Internet forum. Craving for recognition for your little “engineering expertise”? Did I say ANYTHING about discharge side? Of course I’m not going to be like a fool who floors the pedal when it’s negative degrees out.
No, I just get irritated when people complain about the car egregiously wasting SOC to warm itself up, when it's optimizing for best lifespan vs performance. Let it do it's thing, don't worry about it.

Mildly running the battery to warm itself heats the battery from the inside, complimenting the warm coolant warming it from the outside. Tesla's algorithms to manage all the different scenarios are really unbelievably nuanced and developed. There is no scenario where they waste your SOC. You're arguing with over a decade of hundreds of phD EEs spending untold years worth of hours optimizing how this works.

Sorry, got up in the wrong side of the bed this morning, not a lot of tolerance for this right now. I'll take a self imposed time out, obviously not in a good state for company.

No, I just get irritated when people complain about the car egregiously wasting SOC to warm itself up, when it's optimizing for best lifespan vs performance. Let it do it's thing, don't worry about it.

Mildly running the battery to warm itself heats the battery from the inside, complimenting the warm coolant warming it from the outside. Tesla's algorithms to manage all the different scenarios are really unbelievably nuanced and developed. There is no scenario where they waste your SOC. You're arguing with over a decade of hundreds of phD EEs spending untold years worth of hours optimizing how this works.

Sorry, got up in the wrong side of the bed this morning, not a lot of tolerance for this right now. I'll take a self imposed time out, obviously not in a good state for company.
Yea sorry about the gaslighting. In essence I was agreeing with you to trust the system.

Well what I have learned in the years is that it’s much better to drive if you have heated the car. And if there is freezing weather then you almost certainly need to do this as the door seals and handles need to be heated as well. Tesla have improved in this front quite well.

Here is one interesting feature that Tesla have introduced on the app. I believe it’s under Service>Vehicle Rage. It is available only two days after your drive so you have to remember this if wanting to compare your range vs. EPA estimate.
This my exampe is from very hard winter conditions drive, storm weather with up to 27mph upwind and freezing conditions (-15°C). My route is not in the mountains so it’s reasonable flat driving. Unfortunately I missed the data from my return trip as it was pretty much the same but with same amount of tailwind.
Unfortunatelly I don't see such reports under Service menu :/

Hi and thanks for your opinion as first! Personally, I also have several years experience with Li-Ion cells on engineering level and I have never read about any harm when cold cells discharging. Problematic is charging which is in freezing temps completely unacceptalble, but not discharging. Also Bjorn Nyland did some videos with his MX 90D while ambient temp around -15 deg C and showed how to quickly warm it, he hammered it and then braked down and repeated this for several times. He didn't ever mention any problems while doing this. Another point is, if this would really seriously harm the battery, Tesla would limit the output power even more to avoid warranty claims. It is limited, but not that much, just by increased internal resistance I believe. Last point is, I personaly don't hammer it for sure because 1) I like also my halfshafts, axles and so on and 2) I have two small children who also don't like high Gs ;) So think, for my driving even battery with temp around 0deg isn't that big deal and warming it is not really necessary....Or coud you send me some bachelors thesis or such doc describing that warming the battery for it's usage is really necessary? Thanks in advance! Would like to learn more ;)

Last edited:
Well this is how the app looks like on my device, it’s version 4.16.1
View attachment 903901
This option shows up for our 2017 Model S but not for our 2018 Model 3 or our 2022 Model S or Model X. I guess this is Tesla's way of providing the new energy consumption data for older vehicles (but via app instead of in the vehicle).

Thanks for pointing this new report out. After the initial 10 second run, it indicated it would take 21 minutes for it to complete. I'm waiting on the results now.

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Next winter, still the same situation...Outside temps around -5degC and my wife pendling with kids around the city, just many few km drives. Car always preconditioning the battery making the consumption super high even with very low SOC... Would love to know how to turn this stupid feature off...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231204-122021.png
    Screenshot_20231204-122021.png
    159.4 KB · Views: 23
Next winter, still the same situation...Outside temps around -5degC and my wife pendling with kids around the city, just many few km drives. Car always preconditioning the battery making the consumption super high even with very low SOC... Would love to know how to turn this stupid feature off...
Could be a sensor that reads too low? My 85D is not using the heater unless it’s outside for a long period of time. But consumption is high anyway :))
Range mode on

Attachments

• IMG_6788.png
    IMG_6788.png
    835.8 KB · Views: 22
I think the behavior is as expected and it's just a SW feature, not a bug.. I have to leave the car outside as I live in apartment, so the battery gets cold. Now averaging around 300Wh/km but with a big 650l box on the roof rack, so that makes a sense. + There's also some added consumption when preheating so I charge now like every 150km (trying to stay in the 20-80% SOC window) with 100kWh battery :D :D It's insane...

Reactions: kirkusss