Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery and Component Teardown

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies, should have given more context:

High level highlights lifted from jalopnik.com on their overview of the article:

• The battery has a lot of related hardware integrated into it: DC-DC converter, charger, battery management system controller, junction box, and all protection hardware are now integrated into the battery pack itself, on a big hump. On a Model S, these components are spread around the car itself.

This means that the Model 3 itself is actually pretty lean on hardware; it has the drive motor, power steering motors, dash computer and equipment, and not much else. Most of the big stuff is now in the battery pack.

• The battery is radically different than the Model S battery. The Model 3's battery pack does not appear to be an evolutionary design: it’s far more advanced than pretty much any other lithium battery, at least according to Jack Rickard, who did this teardown and analysis. He likens it to “examining a crashed spacecraft from another world.”

• It has much larger modules than the Model S or X’s battery pack. The Model 3 is using four long ‘planks’ of cells, with the two outer ones containing 23 cells (each of these has 46 small cylindrical cells in it) and the two inner ones containing 25. The smaller modules weigh 191 lbs and the larger ones weigh 207 lbs.

• The Battery Management System controller appears to use custom microchips made just for the Model 3. Nobody seems to know much about these, at least not yet, but it’s telling that Tesla had their own chips fabricated instead of using off-the-shelf components.

The Model 3 is using four long ‘planks’ of cells, with the two outer ones containing 23 cells (each of these has 46 small cylindrical cells in it) and the two inner ones containing 25. The smaller modules weigh 191 lbs and the larger ones weigh 207 lbs.
So, 4,416 cells.

At 5,000 cars per week, Fremont is outputting 22,080,000 cells per week (inside of cars). Man, that blows my mind.
So a small leap of logic means that to sustain that car production rate, the Gigafactody outputs a similar number to keep Fremont firing Model 3s out.
But is that “machine gun fast”, as Elon states it would?

22,080,000/week
3,154,286/day
2,190 cells per minute
37 cells per second

Wikipedia says this qualifies as machine-gun fast: “typically at a rate of 300 rounds per minute or higher”.

This assumes 24/7 production and ignores Model S/X and storage products.
So, it might be quite useless, but I had a good time!

Last edited:
So, 4,416 cells.

At 5,000 cars per week, Fremont is outputting 22,080,000 cells per week (inside of cars). Man, that blows my mind.
So a small leap of logic means that to sustain that car production rate, the Gigafactody outputs a similar number to keep Fremont firing Model 3s out.
But is that “machine gun fast”, as Elon states it would?

22,080,000/week
3,154,286/day
2,190 cells per minute
37 cells per second

Wikipedia says this qualifies as machine-gun fast: “typically at a rate of 300 rounds per minute or higher”.

This assumes 24/7 production and ignores Model S/X and storage products.
So, it might be quite useless, but I had a good time!
The cells are produced in Sparks, NV at the Gigafactory, I believe.

The cells are produced in Sparks, NV at the Gigafactory, I believe.
Yup. I was saying that the Fremont factory was was outputting that many cells out of the factory inside of completed Model 3s.
Said another way, the Gigafactory in Nevada is providing enough cells at a high enough rate for Fremont to be packaging that many in completed Model 3s.
If that makes sense. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yup. I was saying that the Fremont factory was was outputting that many cells out of the factory inside of completed Model 3s.
Said another way, the Gigafactory in Nevada is providing enough cells at a high enough rate for Fremont to be packaging that many in completed Model 3s.
If that makes sense. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It makes sense :) and I totally agree. It is pretty impressive what they are accomplishing.

Reactions: e-FTW