Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Calibration 0-100% - does it make sense?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Displayed km or miles related to state of charge, don't change due to weather conditions.

Lol, ok. Just wait for the flood of Winter posts and less range calculations based on the default of using miles or km. This is all dialed down and recalculated by the BMS due to multiple variables including weather, temperature, driving habits, etc. The capacity of the battery in KWh does not change and the % gauge is a better approach to reducing range anxiety. I'm not about to jump into any heated debates here. There are many threads on this already. Using ABRP with a paid subscription of 50 Euro a year is great for me as connecting the Tesla API and also using real time weather data allows me to travel long distances easily with appropriate charging stops no matter what season it is.

Lol, ok. Just wait for the flood of Winter posts and less range calculations based on the default of using miles or km. This is all dialed down and recalculated by the BMS due to multiple variables including weather, temperature, driving habits, etc. The capacity of the battery in KWh does not change and the % gauge is a better approach to reducing range anxiety. I'm not about to jump into any heated debates here. There are many threads on this already. Using ABRP with a paid subscription of 50 Euro a year is great for me as connecting the Tesla API and also using real time weather data allows me to travel long distances easily with appropriate charging stops no matter what season it is.

Displayed km or miles on the Instrument Cluster, are not linked to weather conditions, temperature or driving habits.

No, I'm not. The Tesla employee clearly stated, that this should trigger the balancing.
Balancing: over time, cells get out of balance, meaning some have a higher or lower voltage than the others. The BMS reads 100% when the first cell reaches 100% of a target voltage (which varies by model and battery vintage). If the cells are out of balance, there will be some with lower voltage at the point the BMS sees the first one hit target. This results in “missing” capacity. Balancing is a process of bleeding voltage from higher voltage cells to lowers voltage cells in order to level capacity. In Model S, it used to happen around 90%, so if you consistently charged less than 90, you would get out of balance over time and appear to lose capacity. Solution is to charge to 90+ several times. I’ve read that the newer cars balance well below 90%.

Calibration: the BMS can lose track of its estimate, so in order to allow it to “re-detect” the edges, you need to drain to a low state of charge, and recharge to a high state of charge several times in a row.

Degradation: the battery’s cells permanently lose voltage capacity.

when owners see a lower rated range, they often assume and (Mis) use the term “degradation”. By balancing and calibration, which are different but often confused (even by Tesla employees), owners can “restore” missing range. In the case of balancing, the BMS is actually increasing how much range the car has. In the case of calibration, it is only improving its guess.

this is not the first time a Tesla employee has been confused. They have grown immensely in the last 8 years, and most of the employees have a tenure of < 1 year, and do not own/drive a Tesla.

do not take as gospel what you hear from “a Tesla employee” nor what you hear in any single post on this forum. Do some fact checking.

I have tried this battery calibration recommendation, there was no change. I have Raven X (Not plus) that should get 328 miles.
There is currently 20,000 miles and i only get 297 on a full charge. I assumed it was battery degradation (?).

I can’t speak to the 0-100 or 5-100 case, but my experience has been that an occasional charge to 100 does provide some benefit. My Raven X typically showed 296-297 miles at 90%. After a 1700 mile road trip with lots of supercharging, my 90% reading was down to 294 miles (consistently for several weeks). I had another short road trip and supercharged to 60% on my way home (from 18%) then charged to 100% when I got home. My 90% is back to 296 to 297