Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery calibration does help!!!! (At least for my car)

adrieng1977

May 22, 2020
Chicago
Hi

I just wanted to start this thread because I have seen many posts now that says that the BMS does a great job and that battery calibration does not help.
Well both statements are true and false.

Long story short, (see The usual Battery Degradation Topic), i kept charging my car to 90% every night like it was recommended by tesla but my max battery @100% kept dropping up to 264miles @100% from 310 estimated with close to 30k miles. I was worried it would keep going down but Tesla Service would tell me its normal, and that there is nothing that can be done.

After doing a bit more research, some people did recommend to :
For a couple battery cycles do:
1. let the car go to deep sleep (no sentry mode on, and no third party app(that one not true cuz i still use teslamate)) at different battery level all the way to 10/20%
2. charge to 100%
3 rinse wash and repeat a couple time.

Well after 3 charges to 100% i can tell that the BMS has done its job and re-estimated my battery level from 264 to 282miles @100%.

I think it all depends on your driving habits and how you charge.
We do not drive a lot lately. So we would charge to 90% drive a bit, and charge back at night like recommended by tesla.
I assume that the problem is that the BMS would always check the battery at the same levels so it would not be able to do a proper estimation.

Doing the "calibration" has allowed the BMS to do its job and re-estimate properly the battery.
here are some charts to prove it.

1633962958688.png

1633962989245.png

1633963016627.png

1633963081930.png

Anyways, this is my experience. It might not necessarily work for you, but its worth a try.
Good luck.
Adrien

Randy Spencer

Supercharger Hunter
Mar 31, 2016
Alameda, CA
Yikes 282 miles after only 30K miles? I am just at 100K and my 100% is 299 down from the 310 original in Mar. 2018

I read your thread because I hoped to get closer to the supposed 325 that I may or may not have ever gotten after that software update for our original RWD LR cars.

ichorus

Jul 17, 2014
Glasgow
Hi

I just wanted to start this thread because I have seen many posts now that says that the BMS does a great job and that battery calibration does not help.
Well both statements are true and false.

Long story short, (see The usual Battery Degradation Topic), i kept charging my car to 90% every night like it was recommended by tesla but my max battery @100% kept dropping up to 264miles @100% from 310 estimated with close to 30k miles. I was worried it would keep going down but Tesla Service would tell me its normal, and that there is nothing that can be done.

After doing a bit more research, some people did recommend to :
For a couple battery cycles do:
1. let the car go to deep sleep (no sentry mode on, and no third party app(that one not true cuz i still use teslamate)) at different battery level all the way to 10/20%
2. charge to 100%
3 rinse wash and repeat a couple time.

Well after 3 charges to 100% i can tell that the BMS has done its job and re-estimated my battery level from 264 to 282miles @100%.

I think it all depends on your driving habits and how you charge.
We do not drive a lot lately. So we would charge to 90% drive a bit, and charge back at night like recommended by tesla.
I assume that the problem is that the BMS would always check the battery at the same levels so it would not be able to do a proper estimation.

Doing the "calibration" has allowed the BMS to do its job and re-estimate properly the battery.
here are some charts to prove it.

View attachment 720161
View attachment 720162
View attachment 720163
View attachment 720164

Anyways, this is my experience. It might not necessarily work for you, but its worth a try.
Good luck.
Adrien
Similar experience for me. 282 miles P3D I’m at 40k miles. I’ve kept it in percentage to take my mind off it, but now the app tells me both, so is on my mind again recently.

mattnis

Apr 2, 2020
Chicago
Yikes 282 miles after only 30K miles? I am just at 100K and my 100% is 299 down from the 310 original in Mar. 2018

I read your thread because I hoped to get closer to the supposed 325 that I may or may not have ever gotten after that software update for our original RWD LR cars.

Mine is at 280 (from 310) after only 19k miles.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC