Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery calibration does help!!!! (At least for my car)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I just wanted to start this thread because I have seen many posts now that says that the BMS does a great job and that battery calibration does not help.
Well both statements are true and false.

Long story short, (see The usual Battery Degradation Topic), i kept charging my car to 90% every night like it was recommended by tesla but my max battery @100% kept dropping up to 264miles @100% from 310 estimated with close to 30k miles. I was worried it would keep going down but Tesla Service would tell me its normal, and that there is nothing that can be done.

After doing a bit more research, some people did recommend to :
For a couple battery cycles do:
1. let the car go to deep sleep (no sentry mode on, and no third party app(that one not true cuz i still use teslamate)) at different battery level all the way to 10/20%
2. charge to 100%
3 rinse wash and repeat a couple time.

Well after 3 charges to 100% i can tell that the BMS has done its job and re-estimated my battery level from 264 to 282miles @100%.

I think it all depends on your driving habits and how you charge.
We do not drive a lot lately. So we would charge to 90% drive a bit, and charge back at night like recommended by tesla.
I assume that the problem is that the BMS would always check the battery at the same levels so it would not be able to do a proper estimation.

Doing the "calibration" has allowed the BMS to do its job and re-estimate properly the battery.
here are some charts to prove it.

1633962958688.png

1633962989245.png

1633963016627.png

1633963081930.png

Anyways, this is my experience. It might not necessarily work for you, but its worth a try.
Good luck.
Adrien

Yikes 282 miles after only 30K miles? I am just at 100K and my 100% is 299 down from the 310 original in Mar. 2018

I read your thread because I hoped to get closer to the supposed 325 that I may or may not have ever gotten after that software update for our original RWD LR cars.

Reactions: jgleigh
Hi

I just wanted to start this thread because I have seen many posts now that says that the BMS does a great job and that battery calibration does not help.
Well both statements are true and false.

Long story short, (see The usual Battery Degradation Topic), i kept charging my car to 90% every night like it was recommended by tesla but my max battery @100% kept dropping up to 264miles @100% from 310 estimated with close to 30k miles. I was worried it would keep going down but Tesla Service would tell me its normal, and that there is nothing that can be done.

After doing a bit more research, some people did recommend to :
For a couple battery cycles do:
1. let the car go to deep sleep (no sentry mode on, and no third party app(that one not true cuz i still use teslamate)) at different battery level all the way to 10/20%
2. charge to 100%
3 rinse wash and repeat a couple time.

Well after 3 charges to 100% i can tell that the BMS has done its job and re-estimated my battery level from 264 to 282miles @100%.

I think it all depends on your driving habits and how you charge.
We do not drive a lot lately. So we would charge to 90% drive a bit, and charge back at night like recommended by tesla.
I assume that the problem is that the BMS would always check the battery at the same levels so it would not be able to do a proper estimation.

Doing the "calibration" has allowed the BMS to do its job and re-estimate properly the battery.
here are some charts to prove it.

View attachment 720161
View attachment 720162
View attachment 720163
View attachment 720164

Anyways, this is my experience. It might not necessarily work for you, but its worth a try.
Good luck.
Adrien
Similar experience for me. 282 miles P3D I’m at 40k miles. I’ve kept it in percentage to take my mind off it, but now the app tells me both, so is on my mind again recently.

I may have to try this...I've been telling myself "this is fine" over and over as I watch my capacity continue to drop. Currently sitting at 10% degradation after 4800 miles. I've only charged to 100% twice since taking delivery, both times for road trips.
IMG_2731.jpg

Just wanted to provide a quick update.
My range is currently back to close to 290miles/100% from 264miles/100%

I have continued to do the following.
1. do not charge every night to 80%/90%
2. make sure the car sleeps at different charge levels (that's why i dont charge every night)
3. let it go down to less than 50% then charge to 80%/90%
4. if i know i will have to do a longer trip the next day i will charge to 90%
5. during that time frame i have used only home charging except when i drove to detroit from chicago .

I want to remind you that i did the "battery calibration" twice in a row (see second chart) after i got to my lowest level.

1639767242012.png

1639767277127.png

1639767314045.png

Reactions: Gizmo35