Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery calibration & sentry mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to pick up my m3 on Thursday. Went for a casual test drive and ended up putting a deposit down the same day!

I think I’ve learnt the basics of the car. Obv we’re always looking for tips to extend battery life without getting too anal and spoiling the enjoyment of the car. My plan is to simply plug it in every night to 80-90%

However, I have read that the battery on the m3 needs to sleep for 3-4h at various charge states to calibrate properly and it has taken some owners months to get the range to improve to where it should be. It seems Tesla may have addressed this issue with the scheduled departure feature.

So my question relates to sentry mode.... if I get home, plug the car in but do not schedule charging till a few hours later, will the sentry mode run off the mains and leave the battery in a ‘sleep’ state so a calibration measurement can be obtained? (As I understand sentry mode would normally keep the car awake and drain the battery enough to prevent that)

Pretty sure sentry mode keeps the car awake (so it can record). You are completely overthinking the "calibration" thing. The process described in the thread you are likely referencing is for people whose car ..... wait... i am starting to ramble.

You said "take care of the car without getting too Anal...." to do that, you just need to plug in the car in and set the charge to 80 or 90% like you mentioned (and not run sentry mode at home unless for some reason you have to). Thats pretty much it.

Due to pick up my m3 on Thursday. Went for a casual test drive and ended up putting a deposit down the same day!

I think I’ve learnt the basics of the car. Obv we’re always looking for tips to extend battery life without getting too anal and spoiling the enjoyment of the car. My plan is to simply plug it in every night to 80-90%

However, I have read that the battery on the m3 needs to sleep for 3-4h at various charge states to calibrate properly and it has taken some owners months to get the range to improve to where it should be. It seems Tesla may have addressed this issue with the scheduled departure feature.

So my question relates to sentry mode.... if I get home, plug the car in but do not schedule charging till a few hours later, will the sentry mode run off the mains and leave the battery in a ‘sleep’ state so a calibration measurement can be obtained? (As I understand sentry mode would normally keep the car awake and drain the battery enough to prevent that)

why would you run sentry mode at home?
The car cant pull power off the mains and be asleep.
The car cant sleep while performing any other function than low power bluetooth and SIM reception.

The car won't pull from mains for Sentry in most (basically all) cases. It'll drain the battery a bit, then the charger activates to top it off, and repeat. The car can't really "run off the mains" despite that being a popular theory (and where it appears to, there's numerous caveats).

Your goal for this "calibration" is to let the car actually sleep. I'm trying very hard not to outline all the things you could "worry" about. But basically, if the car is doing anything, it's not sleeping. Including Sentry. Including "running off the mains".

Scheduled Departure also has little or nothing to do with the newer guidance on letting the car rest. The newer forum guidance would be to let the car rest at the "charged" state - Scheduled Departure actually minimises the amount of time the car spends "charged" for most people.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
The car won't pull from mains for Sentry in most (basically all) cases. It'll drain the battery a bit, then the charger activates to top it off, and repeat. The car can't really "run off the mains" despite that being a popular theory (and where it appears to, there's numerous caveats).

Your goal for this "calibration" is to let the car actually sleep. I'm trying very hard not to outline all the things you could "worry" about. But basically, if the car is doing anything, it's not sleeping. Including Sentry. Including "running off the mains".

Scheduled Departure also has little or nothing to do with the newer guidance on letting the car rest. The newer forum guidance would be to let the car rest at the "charged" state - Scheduled Departure actually minimises the amount of time the car spends "charged" for most people.

The HVAC can run off the mains I think.

The HVAC can run off the mains I think.

Oh no, you've trapped me and now I must reply! :D

So yes, but also no. What's true is that the car can (and usually does) start drawing power from the wall to supplement the power usage for climate control. The main battery is not isolated from the rest of the high voltage bus at that point. If the mains power exceeds the needs, it will charge. If it does not, it will discharge. If it wasn't charging in the first place when the climate control was turned on, it may or may not (last I observed, it'll do a dance trying to match the input power to the car's needs, but it's not super precise and again it's still electrically tied to the battery anyways so it doesn't need to be).

This matters mostly for those running off a standard 120V/15A outlet. The battery will still net discharge in that case when preconditioning the car. But in winter, even our 240V 32A setup can be insufficient because the car now uses both motors to heat the battery as well in some cases (not to mention the heater just uses a lot).

These points are of varying non-importance - it depends on the context of the discussion. In this case, whether or not the battery or the wall sources the power makes no difference to the battery's performance from a "calibration" perspective.

why would you run sentry mode at home?
The car cant pull power off the mains and be asleep.
The car cant sleep while performing any other function than low power bluetooth and SIM reception.

Its not that unusual for someone to want to turn on sentry mode at home. Some people have home charging but park outside (for example) and have read about sentry mode and figure that might help them keep tabs on what is going on around their car outside.

They dont realize that the sentry mode function was sort of "tacked on" and the car was not designed with this feature in mind. It keeps the car awake, so that it can record, and that prevents the car from some of the calibration the OP in this thread is talking about.

If someone wants to run sentry mode 24/7 they are probably better off looking into getting a dedicated dashcam which I read from others on here is much more efficient (and also better video quality, etc).

For me personally, I only use sentry mode when I am out and about (stores, etc) so the fact the car doesnt really sleep when its used doesnt bother me, because i also have home charging in my garage and plug in when I get home.

For the OP though, if they want to run sentry mode at home while plugged in, they have to just know that the car wont sleep when doing so, and eventually it likely will be off in reporting battery capacity.

I’m probably wrong but I thought it was calibration readings in lower charge states is what most batteries are lacking?
Receiving the Model Y a few weeks ago, I'm also looking heavily into these threads. This got me thinking, I wonder if the vehicle will obtain the open circuit that it needs when the car is plugged in and not charging? If so, then the scheduled charging will be the best way for the reading to be taken at a low state of charge, then 4 to 5 hours later, have car charge using scheduled charging. This way, the system will get the low SOC reading as needed and still be charged in the morning when needed.

Thanks for the replies. Clearly some knowledgeable people on here. So basically I won’t bother running sentry at home. We’ve had quite a few car break ins around me but not a big deal.

If it's just for break-ins, honestly, most cases the footage wouldn't help you anyway. The cameras are angled and scoped for detecting road features, not faces. Plus they usually make no difference in most places, very few people get caught due to the videos.

I’m probably wrong but I thought it was calibration readings in lower charge states is what most batteries are lacking?

So, this is where the forum format hurts us. The stickied thread referenced had a lot of good discussion, but the main post (and many follow-ups to it) is exemplary of "correlation does not equal causation". I honestly think the first post in that sticky should be edited to reflect the later findings and understandings of the thread, but I digress. This is why in this thread here, I've been putting quotes around "calibration" and otherwise avoiding the more complicated subject.

The stated thing to "get more range" is to gather open circuit voltage readings at various states of charge. The OP couldn't get open-circuit readings with their previous habits because they used Sentry heavily. They stopped using Sentry as much and started letting the car rest at various points. It took months for their range recovery to occur.

Their recovery of range could've been much faster if they focused on what was probably the actual cause in their case: battery pack balancing. I hate bringing this up because it's not a problem for most people. But in these particular cases with very heavy Sentry usage (or anything else keeping the car awake 24/7), yes, the battery pack loses balance because the Model 3/Y is thought to balance the pack only when sleeping. That is, only when it is open-circuit. See the correlation?

Balancing is thought to start above 73% when the car is asleep (and I'm slowly gathering data and cases that confirm this - previously people have suggested 90%, which is not necessary). This is why I mentioned it took them months - it could've been merely weeks if they had just done your routine of charging to somewhere around 80-90% every day. Indeed, I have some anecdotes from others that have PM'd me (this is where my not-me data is coming from these days) where the recovery is on the order of days to weeks, not months, but does require the car to be charged up and sitting.

So. In my above posts, replace the quoted "calibration" with "balancing", that's what is actually happening to most people seeing a benefit from using Sentry less. Not this complicated multiple-OCV-reading thing.

I could be wrong but I and others know the BMS to be pretty dang accurate. The BMS accounts for things we often do not fully understand; recoverable capacity due to correctable pack imbalance is one of those things. It's not that the BMS is wrong and needs calibration - it is very correct and needs time and rest to perform balancing. You normally don't need to account for this, but poorly thought-out flashy features like Sentry Mode make us need to have these discussions.

Receiving the Model Y a few weeks ago, I'm also looking heavily into these threads. This got me thinking, I wonder if the vehicle will obtain the open circuit that it needs when the car is plugged in and not charging? If so, then the scheduled charging will be the best way for the reading to be taken at a low state of charge, then 4 to 5 hours later, have car charge using scheduled charging. This way, the system will get the low SOC reading as needed and still be charged in the morning when needed.

Yes, being plugged in and not charging, it will also sleep appropriately. But see the other part of this post re: you probably don't need to let it rest at low SoC, just high.

Yes, being plugged in and not charging, it will also sleep appropriately. But see the other part of this post re: you probably don't need to let it rest at low SoC, just high.
Good stuff here. Thank you. Yes, truly makes sense of the correlation you describe. I like it. The above 73% is new to me but it also makes more sense why Tesla early on started to recommend charge to 90%. Just set it and forget it...