Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery capacity for Tesla X not enough

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last week we drove to Beaune (France) for work. 2 drivers. Since it is winter we need to charge more than normal.
When we wanted to drive back to Belgium, we had:
To charge the cold car and it took us 1 hour to get to 90 %.
Then we drove to Metz Supercharger, but had to stop in Val de Meuse to recharge 30 minutes, since we consumed between 350 kw-400kw.
Finally in Metz we charged to 95% to drive home at speed between 90-100 km (55 miles - 70 miles). Took us 60 min
Tesal says we need another stop in Wavre, but we skipped that one.

So 605 km (376 miles) drive costed us normally 6 h 5 minutes.
Charging 60 min + 30 min + 60 min = 2 hours and 30 min + 65h 5 min driving we spent 8h 35 min to get home.

So Elon Musk, we really need a battery with more capacity.....

Another problem, when chargin in Metz we get the message that we have enough electricy to drive since HIGH USAGE STATION....
But we where alone and there are 12 chargers. (see attachment please).

François

Attachments

• 20220128_120346 (1).jpg
    20220128_120346 (1).jpg
    519.5 KB · Views: 139
One of the problems here is that charging over 60-70% or so gets very slow so you lose a lot of time. The way to travel fast with electric cars and especially Teslas is to charge lower and stop more often. If there are enough chargers, try stopping more often the next time. Second, make sure you navigate to the supercharger so that the car heats the battery. If you don't, your battery will be cold (it's winter now) so it will charge slower.

Note: you were doing 350-400 wh/km, not kW...

One of the problems here is that charging over 60-70% or so gets very slow so you lose a lot of time. The way to travel fast with electric cars and especially Teslas is to charge lower and stop more often. If there are enough chargers, try stopping more often the next time. Second, make sure you navigate to the supercharger so that the car heats the battery. If you don't, your battery will be cold (it's winter now) so it will charge slower.

Note: you were doing 350-400 wh/km, not kW...
Right. I do long road trips with the front end of the charge from about 10 to about 60% if possible, and generally try to charge before the car cools if I am stopping for any length of time. I learned this the hard way at the Trinidad superchargers by retiring to my hotel immediately upon arrival and then waiting until morning to change - bad idea.

Another problem, when chargin in Metz we get the message that we have enough electricy to drive since HIGH USAGE STATION....
But we where alone and there are 12 chargers. (see attachment please).

François
That “high usage station” message does not mean anything. It’s auto populated based on location history, but you can easily ignore it and manually reset your charge limit to 100%. The message only acts as a courtesy heads up.

Charging a cold battery is always tough. Try plug-in before your trip, and charge when battery is warm (i.e. after driving for 30-45 mins).