Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery capacity question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This question is about battery capacity not range. I have a SR+ M3. My understanding is that the car has a 50KWh battery pack. If this is true, charging the battery to 100% and driving it down to 50% should use 25kWh KWh. Since the unit is a percentage not Kilometres, it should not matter how I drive etc. I tried doing this today by charging to 100% and driving. At 45% SOC, the car showed 19KWh used. Prorating this number to 100%, the battery capacity comes to only 35KWh. What am I missing here?

Also, ignore the range number in the image. My lifetime average is 180wh/km DDE0ADC5-6559-49B3-957D-F54EDFE1B855.jpeg

This question is about battery capacity not range. I have a SR+ M3. My understanding is that the car has a 50KWh battery pack. If this is true, charging the battery to 100% and driving it down to 50% should use 25kWh KWh. Since the unit is a percentage not Kilometres, it should not matter how I drive etc. I tried doing this today by charging to 100% and driving. At 45% SOC, the car showed 19KWh used. Prorating this number to 100%, the battery capacity comes to only 35KWh. What am I missing here?

Also, ignore the range number in the image. My lifetime average is 180wh/kmView attachment 482635
A certain percentage of the battery is unusable to insure the battery is not completely discharged. It varies by battery size and technology. There have been a bunch of studies on this for older models. On mine - an 85 KWH battery, it's about 79 KWH usable.
Also, you will have some heating and vampire losses.

I also noticed that the number seems to only climb while driving, so if you go to a drive in movie and run the heat while Parkes the whole time it doesn't add to the kwh used, same probably goes for preheating the battery, turning climate on before you get to the car etc.

I also noticed that the number seems to only climb while driving, so if you go to a drive in movie and run the heat while Parkes the whole time it doesn't add to the kwh used, same probably goes for preheating the battery, turning climate on before you get to the car etc.

These should all not matter as I am talking about percentage of battery (capacity) not range.

A certain percentage of the battery is unusable to insure the battery is not completely discharged. It varies by battery size and technology. There have been a bunch of studies on this for older models. On mine - an 85 KWH battery, it's about 79 KWH usable.
Also, you will have some heating and vampire losses.

Reading others posts, I see that 52kWh is the usable capacity.

Also, ignore the range number in the image. My lifetime average is 180wh/kmView attachment 482635

Battery capacity is around 52.5kWh usable. Probably 2kWh reserve hidden for the normal user ‘cause 54.5kWh at EPA testing. 55% usage is around 28.8kWh . That minus 19kWh, which is around 10kWh, was your idle loss (vampire drain). See post here Vampire Drain? Simple way of checking it ...

Reactions: Shiraz8484
Battery capacity is around 52.5kWh usable. Probably 2kWh reserve hidden for the normal user ‘cause 54.5kWh at EPA testing. 55% usage is around 28.8kWh . That minus 19kWh, which is around 10kWh, was your idle loss (vampire drain). See post here Vampire Drain? Simple way of checking it ...

Thanks! I used the stats app to see Kwh added from 65% state of charge to 90% Soc and it came out to 12.89KWh where as going from 90%-65% a day earlier was 10kwh. U less there are charging related losses, I think I see your theory working here because using the Kwh added number, the battery capacity comes to around 52kwh as it should br.