Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery capacity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been discussed before but I couldn’t see it exactly. I recently brought a 2016 Model S 85D with 120k on the clock. I had read lots of people saying in their car if same age spec and mileage they get 200 miles off a full battery driving normally with heaters on etc. On 100% charge I am only getting 150 ish or 170 if I don’t use the heating and drive like Miss Daisy. It shows 243 miles on the GOM but only getting the miles I said above. I don’t think this is right so contacted SC and was advised they have ran diagnostics and the Amperage hours is 211 which is very good. If this is the case why am I not getting very good miles when in my 45kw ZS EV I was getting the same amount of miles I am in this. How can I tell what KW the batteries are holding as 211 amp hours means nothing to me and I would like to know how many KW I am getting as my trip computer always show about 55kw of power used since last charge. I use the full battery in a day usually so it isn’t the battery draining over night etc. Any advice would be great. Thanks

What is your average wh/mi (or km) over the day?

Understand that Tesla is very unlikely to do anything for you. Your battery has no warranty for degradation, only failure. So even if it is highly degraded, that’s not going to buy you any favor with Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
The rated range when new for the 2016 85D is 270 miles. If you have rated range turned on, your car still shows 243 miles? If so that's about a 10% range loss, which Tesla might say is within spec. You can still ask them and set up an appointment through the app to check everything out.

Also if true about the 10% range loss, a lot of owners are experiencing little degradation even after several years...1%, 5% or close to 10%. Hopefully it will stay the same for you if Tesla says it's normal. These batteries are liquid cooled, which helps with battery life along with alerts about charging past 90% (charge up to this level maximum, normally).

What is your average wh/mi (or km) over the day?

Understand that Tesla is very unlikely to do anything for you. Your battery has no warranty for degradation, only failure. So even if it is highly degraded, that’s not going to buy you any favor with Tesla.
Usually it’s anywhere between 290 and 420 w/m depending on if using heaters or not and if it’s level roads. It’s usually less than 400 the whole time and more than half the time it’s less than 350 so even at 400 it should get 2.5 miles per kw so surely that means worst case on 150 miles/2.5 the max kw I am using is 60? This is with me over estimating as I would say normally around the 320 mark is my average so really am using a lot less than 60kw which like I say miles wise I was getting the exact same amount in my 45Kw ZS which is disappointing as only upgraded to this car as the ZS was about 30 miles less than I needed to do a trip in one go up to my daughters as would prefer not to have to stop off and charge if possible

The rated range when new for the 2016 85D is 270 miles. If you have rated range turned on, your car still shows 243 miles? If so that's about a 10% range loss, which Tesla might say is within spec. You can still ask them and set up an appointment through the app to check everything out.
The thing is they say it’s 243 miles but only getting 150 isn’t even close and I don’t drive fast or accelerate hard as I don’t understand how I can be using so much kw of battery when w/m is always showing I am around 320 most of the time so surely I should get more than 150 miles. Tesla said they’ve ran diagnostics and I have 211 amperage hours whatever that means???

Do you have 21" wheels? If so, take 10% of your rated range right off the top.

Regarding your efficiency - I don't recall the exact figure for the 85D but you need to be on the order of ~280wh/mi to get rated range.

It's also relevant that EU/UK cars "rated" range is based on WLTP, which is an unrealistically high range (not anything like real life). You should have your range-o-meter set on "typical" and that will be more realistic. The 85D started with a "typical" range of 248 or so miles, so unlikely you'll have 240 left by now (this is why I guess you are on "rated" not "typical"). Cold weather, lots of stop-starts (heating up battery and cabin multiple times per day), driving fast etc. all have a big impact, but typically I am getting 200 miles comfortably on "normal" winter weather with cabin at 20C in my 2014 S85 with 100k miles on the clock. My car should be slightly less efficient than yours.
My trip computer will typically say somewhere in the 60's kWh consumed for a nearly full charge drive, there never was 85kWh available in the battery, and power used pre-heating (if not plugged in) and idling when parked isn't counted in the trip power usage.
If you want to know what kWh you actually have available you'll need to get ScanMyTesla and the OBDII/CANbus dongle. search on this forum for details.

150-170 miles actual range is pretty poor, but it really depends what your journeys and driving style are. If you're doing 1 journey, starting from 100% and going close to 0%, all on relatively flat 70mph motorway predominantly in cruise/TACC not into a fierce headwind or driving rain, then I'd be concerned. If it's a 75mile journey over the hills in the rain with lots of stop-start accelerations then 8 hours sat idle with the battery getting cold, then heating up for another hilly 75 mile journey back then I'd think it's more acceptable.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H and ucmndd
It's also relevant that EU/UK cars "rated" range is based on WLTP, which is an unrealistically high range (not anything like real life). You should have your range-o-meter set on "typical" and that will be more realistic. The 85D started with a "typical" range of 248 or so miles, so unlikely you'll have 240 left by now (this is why I guess you are on "rated" not "typical"). Cold weather, lots of stop-starts (heating up battery and cabin multiple times per day), driving fast etc. all have a big impact, but typically I am getting 200 miles comfortably on "normal" winter weather with cabin at 20C in my 2014 S85 with 100k miles on the clock. My car should be slightly less efficient than yours.
My trip computer will typically say somewhere in the 60's kWh consumed for a nearly full charge drive, there never was 85kWh available in the battery, and power used pre-heating (if not plugged in) and idling when parked isn't counted in the trip power usage.
If you want to know what kWh you actually have available you'll need to get ScanMyTesla and the OBDII/CANbus dongle. search on this forum for details.

150-170 miles actual range is pretty poor, but it really depends what your journeys and driving style are. If you're doing 1 journey, starting from 100% and going close to 0%, all on relatively flat 70mph motorway predominantly in cruise/TACC not into a fierce headwind or driving rain, then I'd be concerned. If it's a 75mile journey over the hills in the rain with lots of stop-start accelerations then 8 hours sat idle with the battery getting cold, then heating up for another hilly 75 mile journey back then I'd think it's more acceptable.
Thanks. I use the whole battery in one day mostly flat roads (couple of slight up and downs within the first 6 miles) but drive steady and don’t pull of hard. Not a lot of stop starting so just driving for 35 miles a time and about an hour or so stops (sometimes less depending on what shopping I’ve got to do lol) but just feels so little when my 45 kw ZS did as many miles and the same types of trips so really thought I’d get at least an extra 50 miles from the extra 40kw 😔 will have a look into the dongles etc

Do you have a binding brake or something like that? if it's saying 240 miles typical then I'd be really surprised if you can't get at least 200, perhaps 220, on a regular basis. To me it sounds like something is wrong and it could be something as basic as that.
It’s just been to Tesla so would have thought if there was anything like that they would have picked up on it as the reason it went in was due to me not getting mileage. They tested it (open throttle whatever that means) and said I’m getting 211 ah but when I asked what that meant in kw they said it can’t be converted which I think is their way of not telling you anything understandable to compare to the kw of the vehicle. It was charging really slow too so they did something to it and it’s a tiny bit better but still slow as tried it out from virtually flat and preconditioned and sat there over an hour to get to 80% 😔 I am going to see how o get on for next few weeks and try a few battery cycles as they advised me and see what I think then

It’s just been to Tesla so would have thought if there was anything like that they would have picked up on it as the reason it went in was due to me not getting mileage. They tested it (open throttle whatever that means) and said I’m getting 211 ah but when I asked what that meant in kw they said it can’t be converted which I think is their way of not telling you anything understandable to compare to the kw of the vehicle. It was charging really slow too so they did something to it and it’s a tiny bit better but still slow as tried it out from virtually flat and preconditioned and sat there over an hour to get to 80% 😔 I am going to see how o get on for next few weeks and try a few battery cycles as they advised me and see what I think then
I have 85D 12/2015 , 290000km now. Still original battery.
My typical Km when at 100% soc is 396km

In summer my range is about 390-400km IF i drive according speed limits and dont stop etc..

Now in early winter, -12 celcius , maybe get 350km if pre heat car and dont stop (so battery won't get cold)

And supercharger, in 85 packs its about 104kw - your soc = so if soc 60% you get about 44kw speed etc..
You need to google chargegate , tesla newer returned speed what they took off sometime in 2019 ?

So when in road trips -> try to arrive charger about 5% left and leave about 65-70% , it really is not supercharge in 85's packs anymore :)

I wouldn't count on Tesla looking at anything except the battery if you asked them about the battery! do a long drive and then go look at/carefully touch the 4 brake discs - if one is much hotter than the others (should all be pretty much cold) then there's your issue. If you can be bothered, jack up one wheel at a time in Neutral with park brake off (flat ground, other wheels chocked) and turn each wheel in turn. should all turn fairly easily. if not, then bearings, brakes may be siezing. Or take it to an independent HEVRA garage to do an inspection service and see if they can find anything. Cheaper than Tesla and likely more thorough. Might want to do the wheel alignment while there, that can cause a bit of extra drag although not all that significant.

The slow charging is unfortunately what us old 85 battery owners have to put up with these days. It's unlikely it'll return to the speeds of pre-may 2019 so the best you can do is make sure to arrive at superchargers at very low charge %, charge only the minimum you need to arrive at the next supercharger. More, shorter stops is quicker overall as the charge rate at the bottom is much quicker than at the top end. Start from home with a full charge, drive 200 miles (assuming you can fix range issue), charge from 5-10% to 55-60%, drive another 100 miles to next supercharger etc. rather than charging to 80% and skipping the next one. It's a pain (especially compared to Model 3's pulling 250kW!) but on the bright side it's free for us!

The dream would be a battery failure before the warranty is up and winning the battery lottery for the new 85kWh 350V pack - but you could equally get a remanufactured pack no better than your current one.

I could see a strong cold headwind bring range down from 200 miles to 150 miles, especially at high speeds, but in both directions? Consistently? Hmm…
Tire pressures have been checked I assume?
Yep tyres all at the correct pressures. It’s all the time regardless of weather I’m not getting any more than 170 max driving under 60mph the whole time (usually 30/40 roads for most of journey) so seems there’s an issue somewhere as it is really low

Yep tyres all at the correct pressures. It’s all the time regardless of weather I’m not getting any more than 170 max driving under 60mph the whole time (usually 30/40 roads for most of journey) so seems there’s an issue somewhere as it is really low
The car is 5 years old with a decent amount of mileage on it. Do you have evidence that the brakes have ever been serviced? As @Tomilett suggests perhaps they are dragging. That would be the next place to check. They should be serviced yearly as recommended by Tesla regardless, if you want them to last. This is the latest service schedule for Canada, I assume the UK version is similar.

Recommended Maintenance Service​

Cabin Air Filter
Your Tesla is equipped with an air filter that prevents pollen, industrial fallout, road dust and other particles from entering through the vents. Tesla recommends the following cabin air filter replacement schedule:
Model 3
Model Y
Tesla recommends replacing your cabin air filter every 2 years.
Model S
Model X
Tesla recommends replacing your cabin air filter every 3 years.*
* For Model S and Model X vehicles produced in 2012-2020, Tesla recommends replacing the cabin air filter every 2 years.

High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filter
If your Tesla is equipped with a HEPA filter, Tesla recommends replacing it every 3 years.
Tire Rotation, Balance and Wheel Alignment
Tesla recommends rotating your tires every 6,250 miles or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in or greater, whichever comes first. Aggressive driving can lead to premature tire wear and may require more frequent tire service. Unbalanced and misaligned wheels affect handling, tire life and steering components. Refer to tire manufacturer's owner manuals and warranty documentation for additional details.
Brake Fluid Test
Tesla recommends testing your brake fluid for contamination every 2 years and replacing as needed.
Air Conditioning Service
Air conditioning service replaces the A/C desiccant bag for better longevity and efficiency of your air conditioning system. Tesla recommends following the following air conditioning service schedule:
Model 3Tesla recommends an A/C desiccant bag replacement every 6 years.
Model YTesla recommends an A/C desiccant bag replacement every 4 years.
Model S
Model X
Tesla recommends an A/C desiccant bag replacement every 3 years.**
** Tesla recommends an A/C desiccant bag replacement every 2 years for Model S vehicles produced in 2012-2020 and every 4 years for Model X vehicles produced in 2012-2020.
Winter Care
Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 12,500 mi for cars in cold weather regions