TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Battery Capacity

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by dhrivnak, May 29, 2011.

1. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

What is the capacity of your pack? It looks like my 2008 #255 has a capacity of about 53 kw. That is measuring from 100% to 0%.

I charged in range mode and then had a wonderful ride through the mountains. I covered 189 miles and had a chance to test the limits of the battery. I had to switch to range mode about 20 miles out to make it home and I estimated I had about 11 miles left on the battery when I arrived at home.

The screen said I had used 50.11kw at 263 wh/mi. If I multiply 50.12/189*200 I get 53 kwh. Am I correct that 53kw is the capacity of the battery in range mode? From that I calculate about 41 kwh in standard mode.

I was not drving for range as I was tracking a group of fast motorcyclists. So I had plenty of hard cornering and several stretches of 75 mph cruising, but the average speed was closer to 50mph.

I would love to go farther but lack of charging option limits us in NE Tennessee.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

3. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

#3 Eberhard, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
    IMG_0120.JPG
    my best result

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

Eberhard, thank you for the reply. I know you drive A LOT. Do you often charge in range mode or standard mode? And do you know how you charged for the screen shot above? I am guessing you charged in range mode and took the pack to nearly empty.

Thank you

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Impressive!

I assume you weren't on the Autobahn (average speed 65.5 kph).

6. Eberhard

I did it on the autobahn from Monaco to Bellinzona Sud. around 70km countryroad (out of Monaco) and then 350km highway. I arrived with 40km ideal range left. I drove most time 80-85km on the truck lane (a little bit slower uphills). It is important to drag low but constant amps out of the batterie pack. countryroad consumption was much higher (135Wh/km).

7. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

Do you follow close behind trucks for slipstreaming? If so, how close?

8. Eberhard

not really, most around 50m. Its more for a pretty steady ride without the need to slow down or push up. i adjust my cruise control for that. Even uphill i keep in line not to increase the amperage to much.

9. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

So are you constantly adjusting the little buttons on the cruise control stalk?