Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Charge Level Will Be Restricted. FML.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well this is a new one.

8LI0iE.jpg

Called Tesla and after diag they called me and told me they're sending a tow truck to come get it and take it to the nearest service center.

YKP9HL.jpg

so away our baby goes. tesla has been awesome to us the whole 100k ish miles we've had her. hopefully she comes back happy. haha!

anyone had this issue? looks like its main battery failure.

Yep, and since you have a classic pre-AP car, your battery pack will be... a very long time coming. On my 2012, I have had a loaner pack since January and no idea when I might get my replacement. Good luck!

If you can even get a loaner pack. Our loaner pack failed at the beginning of the month and we still haven't received our car yet. Most likely it's a bad module. We had the same error message back in April and that was the cause according to Tesla. Click the link in my signature to learn more.

Yep, and since you have a classic pre-AP car, your battery pack will be... a very long time coming. On my 2012, I have had a loaner pack since January and no idea when I might get my replacement. Good luck!
My placement pack for my early '13 pre-AP "classic" was obtained and installed in a couple of days...

Had a 'B' pack, got a refurb 'D' pack.

I still can't understand the logic behind "we'll give you a loaner pack while we fix your original one..." Why not just swap it out? Is there something special or specific to the packs that makes swapping them out permanently a major issue? Some sort of parts/consistency issue?

People are shitty and if you tell them "don't worry if it's broken we'll replace it" they'll treat their own pack like ass, charge to 100% all the time and then find a way to break their own pack and get it replaced right before their warranty is up.

It's going to be interesting to see what the costs are for this type of repair in 2020 -- when the first Model S battery warranties expire.

People are shitty and if you tell them "don't worry if it's broken we'll replace it" they'll treat their own pack like ass, charge to 100% all the time and then find a way to break their own pack and get it replaced right before their warranty is up.

There's long threads over at the leaf forum about how to fast charge your battery with added heat, etc. (Leafs have no thermal cooling) to get it drop enough bars for battery replacement. I don't necessary blame those people as being "shitty" since Nissan did a major fail on not using thermal cooling. It's okay for the Pacific Northwest, but for Texas, Florida, etc, you can almost see the bars drop off when Chademo charging a hot battery on a hot day. Nissan deserves the class action lawsuit in my view.

I'm glad if my battery fails, I get my own repaired one back. I much prefer that than a pack from someone who set the slider to 100% daily and let the battery sit there, as some people here argue is just fine. Then his/her pack fails, gets refurbished, and I get it? No thanks. New or mine refurbished is what I want.

Last edited:
I had a loaner pack on my 2012 Sig that stayed installed for about 6 months. They said no problem, drive as much as you want on the loaner. Then when "my" pack came back (well it still had the same sticker on the outside....) it worked perfectly for the next 16 months or so before I traded it to Tesla on my late 2016 S90D.

Moral: don't worry, be happy! Tesla takes good care of owners but you have to help by being chill about their time to make it all right.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
I just received the same message on my classic 85 this morning. The Tesla service contact told me it is a balance problem, and since I already have an annual service appointment next Tue, to keep driving it in the meantime. That seems inconsistent with what I just read in this thread, and it will no longer charge at all - it is down to 114 miles of range, set for 90%, and immediately after starting to charge it stops and says “charging complete”. Perhaps I need to drive it to the local service center tomorrow (assuming they are open Sat) and have someone check it out before I embark on a trip this weekend.