Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Charge vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ngogas

Sep 19, 2018
Utah
I have a question. When i was younger i use to play for RC cars. When the battery is fully charge, the RC car takes off fast. When the battery is about 50 percent, the RC car isn't as spunky.

This leads me to ask, does battery charge in tesla act the same way? For example if you had 40 percent battery left in a tesla vs 80 percent, will there be a performance degrade when accelerating 0-60? Or Tesla engineer is far advanced that it makes no different as they use some type of capacitor or something to boost the performance so battery charges doesn't matter?

It sounds like you didn’t have LiPo batteries in your RC car which is the norm. For normal use cases you won’t see a difference at 10% and 90%

There is a picture of a dyno posted on here that shows pulls at various SoC levels and the lower the SoC the lower the power but fairly negligible unless you are actually racing someone or attempting a 0-60 record. The only dyno posted that I’ve seen so far is RWD - don’t have the same data for AWD or AWD-P but fairly safe to assume they are similar.

It sounds like you didn’t have LiPo batteries in your RC car which is the norm. For normal use cases you won’t see a difference at 10% and 90%

There is a picture of a dyno posted on here that shows pulls at various SoC levels and the lower the SoC the lower the power but fairly negligible unless you are actually racing someone or attempting a 0-60 record. The only dyno posted that I’ve seen so far is RWD - don’t have the same data for AWD or AWD-P but fairly safe to assume they are similar.

Ah, great!