Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery charge will be restricted

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello,

we have a tesla model s85 car, and last friday it gave a warning that says battery charge level will be restricted, it lasted for 3-4 hours before it went away and the car worked/charged normally for the rest of the week, yesterday night the error showed up again, but went away just now, car now charging normally without the warning

question is what causes this warning/error? i read that it is a battery failure but the battery seems to be working fine since there is no excess drain in the energy, and the warning doesnt last a long time like with the people who had this issue before

could it just be due to the awful weather we had in these days, its super sunny dusty and humid?

thank you for your help

what is the temperature?
what is your max range & age of the car
the dusty part sounds terrible
we had it for a year and a half i think around that, but we bought it from another person who had used it but its a 2013 model so 5 years

the temperature was like 35-37 today, disgustingly humid and dusty

it doesnt consume more than it actually drives, unlike other people who had this issue where it would take away 30 miles when walking 5

thank you ^^

Jordan is.... a unique tesla climate, my bet is weather. Could be a multitude of things though
hahaha yeah quite the weather for a tesla car

can you exactly name other things that causes this
2 months ago we had a problem with the key where it wouldnt work, so the guys from the services center came and checked everything in the car, battery etc... it was all fine and the problem was with the key itself, so as far as we know the battery wasn't damaged

thank you for the reply :D

I think humidity + dust and that temperature could potentially reduce charge speed. I had some issues last summer in similar temperatures (without the dust)
I assume we are talking about supercharger charging?

other potential thing could be louvers not opening in the front or fans @ the louver not working. easy to check on, just look in the front corners at the vent area when plugged in and charging at a Supercharger

Your year is prone to louver's being stuck... really high failure rate. As Zex says that is one option. Another is bad grounding, contactor failures, other electrical issues that plague the 13' model. I'm more inclined to think its a louver issue coupled with really nasty heat/humidity.

I think humidity + dust and that temperature could potentially reduce charge speed. I had some issues last summer in similar temperatures (without the dust)
I assume we are talking about supercharger charging?

other potential thing could be louvers not opening in the front or fans @ the louver not working. easy to check on, just look in the front corners at the vent area when plugged in and charging at a Supercharger

we dont have a super charger, also i asked my dad about the louvers he said that he actually stopped hearing the car venting when its hot/ charging so it also could be that +the weather

thank you for the insight, really appreciated

Your year is prone to louver's being stuck... really high failure rate. As Zex says that is one option. Another is bad grounding, contactor failures, other electrical issues that plague the 13' model. I'm more inclined to think its a louver issue coupled with really nasty heat/humidity.

asked my dad about the louvers he said that he actually stopped hearing the car venting when its hot/ charging so it also could be that +the weather
thank you alot ^^, we will take the car to check on the louvers

Reactions: Zextraterrestrial