Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have an idea why a supposedly new P85 battery would only full charge to 250 mi? My battery flooded last year and I was told it was replaced with a new battery. The old battery would full charge to 259, and I know the standard range for a new P85 battery is supposed to be 265. I have been able to get no help from Tesla and I'm a bit suspicious because I was originally told my battery was having cells repaired, not that it was being replaced.

...P85 battery would only full charge to 250 mi?...

Just to clarify, is yours P85 RWD with the spec of 265 mi or P85D with a spec of 253 mi?

Routinely, your replacement is refurbished and not new. It should say on your receipt if it is new.

My guess: Depending on how you look at it, if you drive your old battery for a while, some degradation is expected and the replacement may not reflect a brand new spec but a spec comparable to your car's odometer.

Just to clarify, is yours P85 RWD with the spec of 265 mi or P85D with a spec of 253 mi?

Routinely, your replacement is refurbished and not new. It should say on your receipt if it is new.

My guess: Depending on how you look at it, if you drive your old battery for a while, some degradation is expected and the replacement may not reflect a brand new spec but a spec comparable to your car's odometer.

Thanks for the reply. It's a P85 RWD. I figured I might get a refurbished battery and was okay with that, but my service rep. claimed it was new and this is what the invoice had on it. ASY, HV BATTERY, MODEL S, S3 (NEW BATTERY). However, the same invoice also said:

Technician found that there was water ingress in the HV battery pack. Sending customers
battery pack in for repairs and providing the customer with a loaner battery pack. Once the
customers battery pack returns we will coordinate the installation.

I'm less worried about the loss of 15 miles and more concerned about why Tesla doesn't know if my battery was worked on or replaced.

...Once the customers battery pack returns we will coordinate the installation...

Another clarification please:

Does that mean:

1) Your old battery was taken away to be repaired.

2) You did get a loaner battery while waiting for a few months.

3) After a few months, Service Center called you "come on down" as your repaired battery has returned.

4) You went back to the Service Center to return the battery loaner and you got another one in its place?

So the issue is: Since this is the final battery that is supposedly in your car, is it new or is it refurbished because there are contradictions in 2 Tesla's notes.

Maybe if you could take a picture of the battery label and someone on this forum can decipher it for you:

1) Please turn your steering wheel all the way the left.

2) If you have air suspension, please pump it up to the maxium height for clearance.

3) Go to the right passenger closed door just rear of the front right tire.

4) Lay down on the ground and take a picture of the battery label.

Good luck!

Reactions: Snerruc
Another clarification please:

Does that mean:

1) Your old battery was taken away to be repaired.

2) You did get a loaner battery while waiting for a few months.

3) After a few months, Service Center called you "come on down" as your repaired battery has returned.

4) You went back to the Service Center to return the battery loaner and you got another one in its place?

So the issue is: Since this is the final battery that is supposedly in your car, is it new or is it refurbished because there are contradictions in 2 Tesla's notes.

Maybe if you could take a picture of the battery label and someone on this forum can decipher it for you:

1) Please turn your steering wheel all the way the left.

2) If you have air suspension, please pump it up to the maxium height for clearance.

3) Go to the right passenger closed door just rear of the front right tire.

4) Lay down on the ground and take a picture of the battery label.

Good luck!

Thank you very much for the instructions on how to get a picture of the battery. I am attaching the pic to this post. It says it's an 85, but does not say P85.

You pretty much got everything correct. They gave me what I thought was a loaner battery. After not hearing from them for 6 months or so, I called the service center where the work was done and was told my replacement battery had already been installed. When I asked for the invoice, I received the contradictory info. that I cut and pasted here. Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_3728.jpg
    IMG_3728.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 104
I was hoping you could get the very top of the label also which might give some more details:

YsrAYSk.jpg

According to:

Battery table

Your part 1014114 is new and not remanufactured part 1025273.

It sounds like they didn't have a different performance battery part number for Model S 85 as others with P85 also listed your same part number as well.

I will try to get a better picture and post it. That's good to hear that there were not different part numbers for P85 vs. regular 85 batteries. I appreciate the info. You are definitely more knowledgeable and helpful than anyone I have talked to at Tesla.

It wouldnt be a new battery because Tesla hasn't made Model S 85 kWh batteries for several years.

"New" here is not about "recent". It's about it is not "remanufactured".

Thus, a "remanufactured" might be more "recent" as it might be repaired in 2018 than a "new" one that has been untouched since 2014 or 4 years ago.

So, the question might be would you prefer 2018 remanufactured battery (that originally comes from 2012 pack) or a brand new one that's been rotted for the past 4 years on the shelf since 2014?

If I want a better service, I would go to Mercedes.

My philosophy is it's like a self-service company.

Sorry about your customer service experience at Tesla.

If I were you: Enjoy your Model S as its battery has indefinite mile warranty for 8 years!!!

Good way to look at it. I love the car and have had no problems with it since they put in the new battery. Perhaps their service will improve as they grow. They are still relatively new. Thanks again for all the information/help.

Reactions: Tam