Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery charging even after stopping the charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bhakan

MSLR MSM/Blk/19/FSD, Ord 6/10/21, Del 2/20/22
Jan 2, 2018
Bethesda, MD
I am outside the country and I plugged my car to the 120v outlet a day before I left. Before I left I noticed even after I pressed stop charging on my Tesla App the charging did not stop. So, I pressed Stop charging on my main display unit. I left it plugged so that I can charge on an as needed basis while I am away. I also moved the slider to a certain level so that it will definitely stop charging. The car is being charged at the rate of 1-2 miles per day even tho the app says Charged Stopping. I know it was not charging because I got the 2020.4.1 update on 1/28. Now the battery says it has charged to 92% even tho when I left it was at 69%. Why is it still charging when the App says it stopped charging? Has anyone seen this before? It started happening only after 2019.40.50.7.
Thanks.

Screenshot_20200118-122929.png Screenshot_20200129-082122.png Screenshot_20200130-161730.png

I am outside the country and I plugged my car to the 120v outlet a day before I left. Before I left I noticed even after I pressed stop charging on my Tesla App the charging did not stop. So, I pressed Stop charging on my main display unit. I left it plugged so that I can charge on an as needed basis while I am away. I also moved the slider to a certain level so that it will definitely stop charging. The car is being charged at the rate of 1-2 miles per day even tho the app says Charged Stopping. I know it was not charging because I got the 2020.4.1 update on 1/28. Now the battery says it has charged to 92% even tho when I left it was at 69%. Why is it still charging when the App says it stopped charging? Has anyone seen this before? It started happening only after 2019.40.50.7.
Thanks.

View attachment 506541 View attachment 506542 View attachment 506543

just updated to 2020.4.1. Plugged in to home 220 last nite with scheduled 85% charge. seems car charged pass 85%.

Attachments

• 6E5AA59B-7528-4DA5-AB09-A32DC0860F4D.png
    6E5AA59B-7528-4DA5-AB09-A32DC0860F4D.png
    874.7 KB · Views: 55
Here is page from the owners manual. U might to leave it charging.
Understood. But my observation from the past and the question was if I use the App to stop charging why does the charging not stop? In the past I was able to start and stop charging remotely thro the App when I am away for three weeks or more when it is connected to the outlet. with this continuous charging I am not able to unlock the post and disengage the cable unless i manually do it from the car's main display unit. It defeats the purpose of remote charging.

Understood. But my observation from the past and the question was if I use the App to stop charging why does the charging not stop? In the past I was able to start and stop charging remotely thro the App when I am away for three weeks or more when it is connected to the outlet.
I guess my question is why would you want to manually control the charging when the car will do it automatically when you're away? Seems like a lot of bother for zero gain.

I guess my question is why would you want to manually control the charging when the car will do it automatically when you're away? Seems like a lot of bother for zero gain.
I don't want to. That was my initial question. But the charging did not automatically stop thro App when i tried as a test before I left and I found out that it does only when i manually stop the charging and that was when it could also unlock the port. When I was away it did not stop charging when I used the App rather it kept charging. Defeats the purpose.

I don't want to. That was my initial question. But the charging did not automatically stop thro App when i tried as a test before I left and I found out that it does only when i manually stop the charging and that was when it could also unlock the port. When I was away it did not stop charging when I used the App rather it kept charging. Defeats the purpose.
That's weird. What charge level do you have it set to?

That's weird. What charge level do you have it set to?
When it did not stop when I was testing before my trip I thought I had to set to some level and set to 227 miles. It kept charging. Pl see my pics above. Then I set to 237 miles and left town. During my trip it kept charging above the level set. Btw, in my previous trips it used to be a hard stop of charging thro App when I stop charging. After 2019.40.50.7, even after the set level the car kept on charging. When I came back from my trip I noticed it climbed up to 309 miles even tho that was not the set level.

When it did not stop when I was testing before my trip I thought I had to set to some level and set to 227 miles. It kept charging. Pl see my pics above. Then I set to 237 miles and left town. During my trip it kept charging above the level set. Btw, in my previous trips it used to be a hard stop of charging thro App when I stop charging. After 2019.40.50.7, even after the set level the car kept on charging. When I came back from my trip I noticed it climbed up to 309 miles even tho that was not the set level.
I would get a service appointment because it should stop charging at the set rate.