Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery charging levels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: The first three posts in this thread were moved from a thread on an unrelated topic.

Batteries:
What I have learned over the years about batteries is that, in order to get the longest cycle life from your battery, you should avoid discharging below 50%. Tesla recommends that you not charge to greater than 90% state-of-charge.
Tesla’s charging app implies (recommends) that, on a daily basis, you should charge between 50% to 90% state-of-charge. You should avoid discharging below 40% state-of-charge. Of course, the car is designed to occasionally be discharged over a larger range for longer trips.
I recently took a Photo-voltaic/battery design course and the recommendation was: size your batteries for the design load and then take the number of batteries and multiple by 2 so that you don’t discharge below 50% state-of-charge to preserve the battery cycle life.
Apple recently had a problem with the iPhone Li-ion batteries. They recommend that, if you are not planning on using your iPhone for an extended period of time, you should leave the battery at 50% state-of-charge. This gives you 10% margin to the lower limit of 40%. All batteries self-discharge. When the Tesla is off, the electronics in the car draw a small amount of current adding to the parasitic discharge.
I make an effort to avoid discharging below 50% state-of-charge and have my recharge set to 90%. Shorter stops at the superchargers.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: TexasEV and don123
Batteries:
What I have learned over the years about batteries is that, in order to get the longest cycle life from your battery, you should avoid discharging below 50%. Tesla recommends that you not charge to greater than 90% state-of-charge.
Tesla’s charging app implies (recommends) that, on a daily basis, you should charge between 50% to 90% state-of-charge. You should avoid discharging below 40% state-of-charge. Of course, the car is designed to occasionally be discharged over a larger range for longer trips.
I recently took a Photo-voltaic/battery design course and the recommendation was: size your batteries for the design load and then take the number of batteries and multiple by 2 so that you don’t discharge below 50% state-of-charge to preserve the battery cycle life.
Apple recently had a problem with the iPhone Li-ion batteries. They recommend that, if you are not planning on using your iPhone for an extended period of time, you should leave the battery at 50% state-of-charge. This gives you 10% margin to the lower limit of 40%. All batteries self-discharge. When the Tesla is off, the electronics in the car draw a small amount of current adding to the parasitic discharge.
I make an effort to avoid discharging below 50% state-of-charge and have my recharge set to 90%. Shorter stops at the superchargers.

I think you posted to the wrong thread.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Batteries:

First time I've read about avoiding discharging below 50%. Keeping it around 50%, yes.

If you start charging at 50% state of charge at a Supercharger you are nearly in the taper region where charging will be slower. Staying above 50% during a road trip is the slowest way to travel!

So many of us go down to 5 miles or less kinda blows that away. I see guys driving in on zero miles. The some of us charge to max alot.
I have been in over 20 states, lots of places with no where to charge, so we leave with max caharge. I nearly went to zero in Charleston last year. Finally found a 110v plug. Charging is fun, if you dont worry about it. Also leave it plugged in as per manual.

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 68