Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery charging range decrease ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my myp couple days ago.

I normally see 90% charge =270 range.

But recently when I charge my car, I see that it got decreased by 2-3 miles, now 90% = 267

What’s happened ? Didn’t expect battery life to die that fast.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
What’s happened

Its an estimate, that can change a bit based on "many" factors (including the weather), so there is almost assuredly nothing wrong with your car, nor have your actually "lost" any real range.

You will never likely get rated range anyway, so paying too much attention to that number is going to be an exercise in frustration, if you are thinking it somehow correlates into how far you will actually be able to go on a charge.

Reactions: Pianewman
LOL...it will keep decreasing. I now get 254 miles at 89%. It's ridiculous. I use an average of 249wph, and it just keeps decreasing. Tesla is testing my battery Saturday. They're gonna tell me all is normal. I'll then sell my Tesla, and get an Id4. If I wanted a 250 mile range, I could have saved 30K

Reactions: Msicario
LOL...it will keep decreasing. I now get 254 miles at 89%. It's ridiculous. I use an average of 249wph, and it just keeps decreasing. Tesla is testing my battery Saturday. They're gonna tell me all is normal. I'll then sell my Tesla, and get an Id4. If I wanted a 250 mile range, I could have saved 30K
Yes, except ID4 range will drop from there and you end up with 180!

Tesla owners shouldn't obsess over the range estimate that Tesla provides. Starting with Tesla software version 2021.40.5 Tesla states "Your vehicle's range estimation has been modified to better represent real-world conditions." Tesla does not provide any information on the real-world conditions but we can assume that temperature is a factor in estimating range.

Reactions: goingjag
Lol what a clown!

Tesla owners shouldn't obsess over the range estimate that Tesla provides. Starting with Tesla software version 2021.40.5 Tesla states "Your vehicle's range estimation has been modified to better represent real-world conditions." Tesla does not provide any information on the real-world conditions but we can assume that temperature is a factor in estimating range.
Thanks, that's great info I hadn't seen. I seldom need full range, not at all during Covid in 2020 and early 2021. So when I took my first trip in 2021 and saw my max range go from 327 to suddenly 285. I was afraid it was because I always plugged it back in even after only driving a few miles during that Covid time. I haven't been leaving it plugged in anymore. I wait until I use up at least 60 miles before I charge it back up to 80%.

The range is fluctuating. It's normal.
It is "fluctuating" all right...but a very interesting one-directional fluctuation...
Thanks, that's great info I hadn't seen. I seldom need full range, not at all during Covid in 2020 and early 2021. So when I took my first trip in 2021 and saw my max range go from 327 to suddenly 285. I was afraid it was because I always plugged it back in even after only driving a few miles during that Covid time. I haven't been leaving it plugged in anymore. I wait until I use up at least 60 miles before I charge it back up to 80%.
That's absolute BS. Yes, there are many factors that play into the range estimate, no argument there. And with so many factors, certainly estimates become complex....for a human to calculate on the fly that is. But with all that computing power and all that super hight tech capabilities, it should be trivial to come up with a decent and reliable reading. Come on, man! You can navigate the car into the open cosmos but you are telling me that it is too complicated to give me a dependable estimate for my trip to the airport? That's is absolute BS.
You know where I'm now and where I'm going, you know what the road looks like, you know what the temperature outside is, you know what the weather is like at the moment and what it will be like while I'll be on the road, you know how full or empty the trunk is...you have all the information you need, and you certainly know very well the specs of the battery and its condition. And you do know exactly how all those factors affect the range. FGS, you even know who is driving. There is absolutely no excuse for not telling the driver pretty accurately what to expect...it is understandable to be a few miles off. But being 23 miles off on a 70-mile trip is absolutely nonsense.