TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Battery conditioning

Discussion in 'Model S' started by skip8jj, Apr 10, 2016.

1. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

i have looked through the various threads and found a few references to battery conditioning relative to starting in cold weather, i.e. prewarming the battery, but I have not found just how to do it. I have looked in the manual but found no mention. Is this step no longer necessary? Thanks

2. Petra

Petra Member

As far as I'm aware, it's tied to vehicle preconditioning.

3. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

Pardon me, but what does that mean? I find no reference to "vehicle preconditioning". Please elaborate.

4. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

In cold weather you need to warm up the battery. This is done via the app or Visual Tesla. Turn on the heating system in the car. Your vehicle will then begin to warm the battery as well. If you do not do this, in very cold weather, your car will have little or no regenerative braking, and may ave limited acceleration. Most users in cold weather areas plug in their cars, and initiate the warm up while connected to AC power to minimize the effect of the drain on range

5. skip8jj

skip8jj Member

Thanks for the explanation. SS

6. AustinP

AustinP Member

Hi,

Another efficient way is to have the charging completing or almost done at the time you leave with the car. Charging the battery warms it.
    Does indeed require you to estimate the time at which to start charging. Also, when temperatures are very low, you might want to combine prewarming of the car with charging.

7. DMC-Orangeville

DMC-Orangeville 85D and John Deere 5100E

Also, you should read this blog (from the old site). Doug is in Ottawa, and he has some good hints
    Cold Weather Driving

8. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Note that even if preconditioning, the heat target of the BMS is only 8 C. This is not sufficient to completely remove regen limits.

9. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

There are several threads on this here. Search a bit more and you will find useful info. But essentially, time your charge to end near the time you expect to use the car or preheat the cabin while the car is connected to shore power for at least 30 minutes prior to your departure. You can do this either through Visibletesla or through the Tesla app, oe RemoteS, an excellent app. Quite easy and convenient to do. Visibletesla allows you to program it, as long as you leave the app running on your home computer and your car is set to always connected in the setting menu, which is quite convenient. The Tesla and RemoteS apps requires you to turn it on. The smart preconditioning selection in your car's setting menu has not proven to be reliable as of yet.