Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my first month of a drive, I have driven 1400 miles. I drive in DC Metro traffic every day in this Nov-Dec Cold Weather. I noticed that my average power consumption has been 330 KWh/m. I drive about 22 miles one way and 50 miles round trip in a day with average time on road being about 50-65 min and heater set at 69 F.

Would like to understand hows your experience been? What is your average consumption? I believe 330KWh/m is too high, any ideas how can I reduce the battery consumption and get better-rated miles.

Thanks
Same for me. I seem to average high 200s in the summer and low 300s in the winter.

I said "fuel cost" not efficiency. :)
The M3 would sit around ~23kwh per 100km for me, which is 6,21€ in power cost where I live. (0,27€ / kwh )
My current 350 E-Class consumes ~10l LPG per 100km which costs me 6,3€ (0,63€ / l)
And the E-class actually performs better at 130+ km/h.

In basically every other country on earth this would look very different, but autobahn speed really isn`t a BEV`s strength.

Ouch. That electricity price is close to California rates. Also those LPG rates seem super low compared to normal petrol cost in most of the EU from my understanding. Isn't normal petrol >1euro/L?

You're assuming you always get that poor of efficiency though; unless you're driving very fast or only in the winter the kWh/100km should be much lower. I think the EPA estimate would put it at ~17kWh/100km? Does LPG efficiency improve just as much in more temperate weather as well?

Also those LPG rates seem super low compared to normal petrol cost in most of the EU from my understanding. Isn't normal petrol >1euro/L?
LPG taxes are way lower and will stay that low until at least 2022. I´ve actually been able to get lpg for <0,5€ until 2016, even.
Normal gas ist at >1,5€/l and even Diesel is almost at 1,4€/l currently, completely crazy.

Ouch. That electricity price is close to California rates.
I have to thank our german government's incompetence for that. We got the highest prices in all of europe.....

You're assuming you always get that poor of efficiency though; unless you're driving very fast or only in the winter the kWh/100km should be much lower. I think the EPA estimate would put it at ~17kWh/100km?
For long distance trips with <130km/h at normal temperatures that would indeed be correct, but with my driving profile, namely ~12-15 miles one way twice a day and several longer autobahn trips/month with a lot of ~180+km/h parts efficiency quickly goes down the drain, especially in the 4 months where we have between -5 and 5°C.
People on this board have shown charts where the M3 consumes a whopping ~500wh/m in the cold months on the first ~10-15 miles..... So basically in the winter I´d almost exclusively be driving with 30+ kwh / 100km and that is before even factoring in the Autobahn.

With my driving profile 23kwh/100 km is actually rather optimistic ;)

Last edited:
LPG taxes are way lower and will stay that low until at least 2022. I´ve actually been able to get lpg for <0,5€ until 2016, even.
Normal gas ist at >1,5€/l and even Diesel is almost at 1,4€/l currently, completely crazy.

I have to thank our german government's incompetence for that. We got the highest prices in all of europe.....

For long distance trips with <130km/h at normal temperatures that would indeed be correct, but with my driving profile, namely ~12-15 miles one way twice a day and several longer autobahn trips/month with a lot of ~180+km/h parts efficiency quickly goes down the drain, especially in the 4 months where we have between -5 and 5°C.
People on this board have shown charts where the M3 consumes a whopping ~500wh/m in the cold months on the first ~10-15 miles..... So basically in the winter I´d almost exclusively be driving with 30+ kwh / 100km and that is before even factoring in the Autobahn.

With my driving profile 23kwh/100 km is actually rather optimistic ;)

I can see why LPG is a pretty big advantage there... hard to beat that pricing honestly.

That being said, unless those 12-15mi are all high speed autobahn stuff, then I don't think you're actually going to be that hurting that much for efficiency though. My commute is 15mi one way and I can say my efficiency is pretty close to spot on (220-240Wh/mi) during normal temperatures. Once it drops to 35deg F I was getting 300-340Wh/mi for the full trip... not sure how people get >500Wh/mi though at trips of >10mi, unless we're talking substantially lower temperatures or they like to roast themselves on the trip...