Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Coolant Heater replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t been able to find anything in the Model X forums on battery coolant heater replacements. Has anyone had theirs replaced? I’ve seen that it’s a relatively easy DIY on the Model S, but my service center is saying they have to drop the high voltage pack to get to it.

Any insight on this? I’d obviously rather DIY than spending $1100 on the repair.

Reactions: MX100DM3P2017
I had to have mine replaced a couple weeks aga, it had an internal short and that shuts the car down except for doors. They also replaced the 12v lithium battery. I never had a problem with it but it was all warranteed.
The car did warn me of a problem at home but I drove to the store anyway. It had to be towed from there, lesson learned about Tesla warnings.

I had to have mine replaced a couple weeks aga, it had an internal short and that shuts the car down except for doors. They also replaced the 12v lithium battery. I never had a problem with it but it was all warranteed.
The car did warn me of a problem at home but I drove to the store anyway. It had to be towed from there, lesson learned about Tesla warnings.
I just received the Active Alert, BMS_035, Vehicle may not restart on my 2017 MX 100D yesterday. Tesla Service Center has quoted me $1,201.00. I see that everyone is saying this is covered under warranty. Is this covered under the 8-yr/100K battery warranty?

I just received the Active Alert, BMS_035, Vehicle may not restart on my 2017 MX 100D yesterday. Tesla Service Center has quoted me $1,201.00. I see that everyone is saying this is covered under warranty. Is this covered under the 8-yr/100K battery warranty?
I don’t see the battery heater in the warranty but didn’t notice other BMS components either. I know mine was and they all should be covered, it’s not a consumeable.

I don’t see the battery heater in the warranty but didn’t notice other BMS components either. I know mine was and they all should be covered, it’s not a consumeable.
Thank you for the information. Appointment is scheduled for 12/7, just hope I can drive the MX 60 miles to the SC. Quote shows Correction: Coolant Heater - Electric- Battery (Remove & Replace) with part MDL X, THERM SYS, ELEC BATT so I hope it is covered under battery warrant, if not, this will be my first repair bill. I'm surprised this kind of repair is needed when I only have 22K miles on the vehicle.

I haven’t been able to find anything in the Model X forums on battery coolant heater replacements. Has anyone had theirs replaced? I’ve seen that it’s a relatively easy DIY on the Model S, but my service center is saying they have to drop the high voltage pack to get to it.

Any insight on this? I’d obviously rather DIY than spending $1100 on the repair.
Yes mine was replaced in February 2021 on my July 2019 P100D, it was roughly -20C outside when it happened. I was towing my trailer, and luckily everything shutdown in a parking lot. It had to be towed to the SC.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Thank you for the information. Appointment is scheduled for 12/7, just hope I can drive the MX 60 miles to the SC. Quote shows Correction: Coolant Heater - Electric- Battery (Remove & Replace) with part MDL X, THERM SYS, ELEC BATT so I hope it is covered under battery warrant, if not, this will be my first repair bill. I'm surprised this kind of repair is needed when I only have 22K miles on the vehicle.
UPDATE: 2017 MX 100D is now in the SC to have Battery Coolant Heater replaced, cost $1,201+ tax, not covered under battery warranty.

HI, I now have the same issue "electric battery coolant heater" needs to be replaced. Tesla SC quoted me $1600. Is that normal? Anything I can do to ask them to reduce the est cost down? Seems to be TOO high. Thanks for your help in advance.

Had this happen in October, Model s 90D- 2016 , with about 30K miles. cost me $1600.

Was wondering the same ? Just bought it a month before, hardly drove it- maybe 300 miles.

Took the wind out of my sails; was really loving the car.

I had to have mine replaced a couple weeks ago. I have 12v battery failure and battery coolant heater bad warning. I am able to drive them and start just fine but only message I get is 12v battery failure. My Tesla 2018 Model X and still under warranty until 4/2023. So it is all cover by Tesla warranty. Luckily it wen bad 6 months early before warranty expired.

I had mine fail yesterday. I never got any warning. The car wasn't defrosting after activating defrost with the app. I went out, doors opened, but the car was totally dead. I had to have it towed to the service center. The tech at Tesla said he has been seeing a number of these fail. Because the car sits outside in the cold weather the battery coolant heater runs more to keep the battery warm. I have a 2021 Model X with 25000 miles. They replaced the battery coolant heater and the 12v battery under the vehicle warranty.

I had to have mine replaced a couple weeks ago. I have 12v battery failure and battery coolant heater bad warning. I am able to drive them and start just fine but only message I get is 12v battery failure. My Tesla 2018 Model X and still under warranty until 4/2023. So it is all cover by Tesla warranty. Luckily it wen bad 6 months early before warranty expired.
I would get the battery replaced ASAP. It is very likely to fail completely, with no notice. Tesla consideres 12v battery replacement a high priority Item. The last time on my 2018, I had a new battery installed in less than 24 hours, in my driveway. I guess they figured it was a real PIA to have to tow the vehicle, when a quick mobile service could have gotten the customer fixed straightaway.

Tesla just said remote diagnostics while prepping for our pyro fuse replacement for our 2016 Model X 90D showed a bad battery coolant heater. I really don't want *another* $1200+ repair after having replaced the entire AC system and had to fix a FWD all in the first 4 months of our ownership... 😵‍💫 Looking at the service manual, it appears to not be a difficult replacement at all... Is this worth a DIY? Only thing I'm not sure of is a coolant purge on the MCU1 since I'm pretty sure the service mode coolant purge is MCU2... Are there any Model X videos/walkthroughs of someone doing this replacement?
Do y'all think we could push it a month or 2 until codes pop?

While supercharging, my car bricked, all black screens, had it towed by AAA a short distance to Dublin Service. 12V would not hold a charge, so the Heroic AAA guy keep it jumping while pulling car onto flat bed. (Tow mode cannot be activated while car is bricked.)

Battery coolant heater failed and then main battery quit supporting the 12V. It was replaced in one day, while I was given a Perf. M3.

But yes, its not part of the 8yr battery warranty, so $1,193 happened, which includes $30 tax.

Cheers to AAA & Tesla

Reactions: Anthony R.
While supercharging, my car bricked, all black screens, had it towed by AAA a short distance to Dublin Service. 12V would not hold a charge, so the Heroic AAA guy keep it jumping while pulling car onto flat bed. (Tow mode cannot be activated while car is bricked.)

Battery coolant heater failed and then main battery quit supporting the 12V. It was replaced in one day, while I was given a Perf. M3.

But yes, its not part of the 8yr battery warranty, so $1,193 happened, which includes $30 tax.

Cheers to AAA & Tesla
Did you call the Tesla service line and they told you to call AAA for a tow to the service center?

BTW, I was at the new Dublin Supercharger yesterday, and this girl w/2017 MX had the same error messages as I filling her cluster (ICU). And we we helping the Tesla tow guy push the car back far enough to enable pull onto his bed. She was luckier, 12V was not dead and computer was on, and she could put into tow mode w/jumping the 12V like I had done. Very likely another battery coolant/heater failure.....