Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery cooling after supercharging longer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AustinP

Apr 6, 2015
Belgium
Hi folks,
We’ve had our car for more than 4 years and 175k km/110k miles. We have had many longer road trips so I know how my car behaves at SuCs.
We’re heading home and at the last 3 SuC, the car has kept the cooling at high speed after finishing for up to 5 minutes.
So to be clear: we stop supercharging, drive away and for about 5 minutes the fan for the cooling of the battery keep at almost full speed.
Temps are not high today: 20C / 70F.

Anyone else recognize this ?

Thanks for your replies.

I have had this happen a few time. Usually on SC when I charge to a high % like 90%. The last few % are really hard to do. Generates a lot of heat. I would also say this my be the older battery like mine. I know model 3's use the AC to cool the battery and the newer S/X are more efficient.

I have had this happen a few time. Usually on SC when I charge to a high % like 90%. The last few % are really hard to do. Generates a lot of heat.
That doesn't sound correct because the charging rate slows way down. However, it might be that because heat is generated earlier plus the heat generated when the driving begins again, the cooling is run to make sure there's no possibility of overheating. I've noticed that after Supercharging the Wh/mi goes up quite a bit when you start driving, so something is using that energy. Starting normally from home goes up to the 300s usually, but starting after an SC is in the 600s.

i noticed the higher energy use as well, the average for the first few miles was over 500, with a peak at 1100. My average speed was about 15 mph. And yes the fan\pump was going on high for a few minutes of that. I thought for a second i should sit at the charger for a bit to stabilize, but realized that 1) its not drawing any energy to handle the peaks, and 2), I'll get billed if I sit for more than 5 minutes. It would be nice if there was a short taper off period to stabilize the battery after charging

I know this is an old tread, but I've noticed this as well. My 2020 Y always does this right after supercharging no matter the ambient temps. My car is currently in for service and they gave me a Model 3 loaner and it does the same thing. Wouldn't it make sense to draw power from the supercharger (while charging) to cool the battery.... instead of losing ~5 miles of range right off the bat due to battery cooling?

Wouldn't it make sense to draw power from the supercharger (while charging) to cool the battery.... instead of losing ~5 miles of range right off the bat due to battery cooling?
That's not quite an either/or thing. They are both happening. The car gets the battery warm to Supercharge, because then you can get a high charging speed. Then the charging process itself creates a lot of heat, so the car is also using some energy to manage that and cool it a bit, so it doesn't skyrocket TOO hot. And then after it's done, that's not a healthy temperature to stay at for a really long time, so it actively cools it back down into a normal range.

I know this is an old tread, but I've noticed this as well. My 2020 Y always does this right after supercharging no matter the ambient temps. My car is currently in for service and they gave me a Model 3 loaner and it does the same thing. Wouldn't it make sense to draw power from the supercharger (while charging) to cool the battery.... instead of losing ~5 miles of range right off the bat due to battery cooling?
Are the front bumper-area vents working? I know that the Model S has these and I think the Model Y does too (or a new version). Also, check that the vehicle is set to recirculate the air when Supercharging...it's more efficient usually when it's more than 80 F outside.

Same here. 11/13 built S85 with 126K miles on the original battery pack that got nerfed with the June 2019 software update. Sometime around September 2019 I noticed the fans at the front louvers getting very loud and spinning at a high velocity after 20 minutes of Supercharger or Supercharging above a 60% SOC...sounds like a stationary vacuum cleaner. Sometimes the fans are delayed and kick in after driving away at low speeds. Coolant pumps also seem to cycle when level 2 charging (AC) when I charge beyond 76% SOC. I figure the software changed to better deal with thermal management and other Model S owners of my vintage have experienced similar. I've heard nothing from Tesla so I'm left to speculate.

Check your louvers, if they aren't opening or opening all the way that will not only make it longer to cool but it can slow your supercharging speed. When mine broke I was 3 hours from home and only 1 SC on the route. I was charged ar 30kW for a few hours and even when I got home the fans were still going full blast and my max speed was reduced to 25 mph due to the pack being so hot.

The easiest way to check the side ones is plug into any charger and then walk to the front of the car and visually watch them open and close. The middle louvers though you can't see without removing the radiator and those are the ones that really do a lot of the work to cool. But if you remove the frunk and the horns you can stick a small mirror in the holes and see if they are opened or closed.
All 3 louvers can be replaced in the driveway pretty easy. It was about $550 in parts when I bought them OTC a couple years ago.