Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

battery cooling question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So i went to the SC yesterday and they took their sweet time 6 hours to tell me what i had already suspected, that the louvers were all bad. They gave me all 3 louver assembly's and i was on my yay home. Invoice below for pricing for others to see prices.

The drive home i stopped after 2 hours and supercharged then made it home the AC worked the whole time perfectly even at 68 degrees the whole way.

This morning i pulled everything apart and installed all 3 louvers and that middle one is a PITA!! But whatever it was done. I put everything back together and installed the firmware update like they told me to and i turned on the AC and all the louvers were open and air was flowing and the AC was cold.

Fast-forward to this evening and I went to take a drive and as soon as I hopped in the car it said AC reduced DC fast charging Reduced and the AC was blowing hot air and both side louvers were closed but the fans were only at like low speed and they were pulling air from the middle louver only and i could feel the air being pulled through so the louver was working properly. And since the fans were at low power it made sense to not have the sides open.

All the connections i removed i reconnected and i went and double checked this too. I thought that maybe something had gone astray in the water cooling loop because i removed like 1/2 gallon of fluid when i pulled the radiator off to get that middle louver removed. But i replaced all the water and it was back at the normal level like it was before. But i saw a small screw on the top right of the radiator and figured maybe it was there for times like this and there was an air lock or something so i pulled it out slowly but ended up spilling like a quart of fluid because the pump was on and water was flowing like it should.

I have done several reboots of the system and even the small screen to for good measure. It feels like the AC is not turning on because the fans are on such a low speed. I cant find a fuse or anything for the AC and i don't know what any of the relays do because all the fuse box diagrams don't label the relays.

I've heard somewhere the the frunk fireman's loop will disable the HVAC system, anyone know if this is true and if it is, disconnect it would that like do some sorta reboot to the AC?

I have taken the car for a 5 mile drive at 30 mph and no change, i also looked at the temps on the SMT app and the battery is like 102 so its not hot or anything. Outside temp is 107, but yesterday it was 109 and i was supercharging and the AC still worked fine.

Does anyone know what i can do to fix my problems?

Untitled.png

Just wanted to post an update. I removed the fireman's loop under the front and disconnected the 12v battery as well. I opened the car door and slowly the whole thing powered off. I let it sit for like 30 min then hooked up the 12v then plugged the HV fireman's loop back in and everything is working great now for over a month without issue.

Weird. When I had the 'ac reduced' error message I called roadside support and they told me my battery was 61C or 141F. But I didn't had such severely limited power.

I had been traveling all day and highway speeds for most of it so that caused more power draw from the battery heating it up further. But if you were at 141F and no reduced power that's crazy, you can see my yellow lines limiting my power and regen in my post. Maybe you have a different battery or something in your firmware.

I had been traveling all day and highway speeds for most of it so that caused more power draw from the battery heating it up further. But if you were at 141F and no reduced power that's crazy, you can see my yellow lines limiting my power and regen in my post. Maybe you have a different battery or something in your firmware.

Yeah it's weird. I got it after a 2 hour highway drive at 30-35 degrees C while driving in the Swiss gotthardtunnel where it was 38 degrees C. But I was able to continue the +/- 6 hour (all highway) or so drive in the 30-35 degrees C weather without issues. I even supercharged with regular speeds (+/- 120 kW)

Maybe roadside support was giving me crap.

So while I was stopped at the supercharger I looked and the louvers under the fog lights were closed on both sides. I have a 2014 P85D pre facelift.
I don't know if those are supposed to be open or not. I could push them open a little with my fingers. But if those are closed isn't it pulling air from the low middle of the grille opening? There was a light breeze outside so I couldn't feel if air was being sucked in through there or not.
My power is severely limited due to the battery being at 137°F

View attachment 566467
If you can push open your louvers while the car is on, and they stay open, something seems wrong. I've taken my 2015 S front bumper off a few times, and even installed some modifications around the louvers, but I could only move them when the car is off or bumper disconnected. When car is on, it controls the louver position and they will not let me change that position manually.

If you can push open your louvers while the car is on, and they stay open, something seems wrong. I've taken my 2015 S front bumper off a few times, and even installed some modifications around the louvers, but I could only move them when the car is off or bumper disconnected. When car is on, it controls the louver position and they will not let me change that position manually.

Correct. What i found out during my diagnostic before i could take it to tesla is the umbilical cord for the front bumper is easy to disconnect and then you can open them manually while the car is on.