TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Battery Cooling

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by PRSIST, Jun 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PRSIST

PRSIST Member

Since i have not read anything about Tesla battery packs overheating, I'm taking that as a good sign. Right now in the Phoenix area it is 116 degrees a forecasted to be over 120 for the next two days. Are there any Tesla owners out there that can comment on battery overheating in Phoenix area?? Is it a concern or no sweat?

2. apacheguy

apacheguy S Sig #255

Tesla packs can get quite hot. But definitely not over 50 C. Tesla aggressively chills the pack when the cells start approaching that target. It will even redirect cabin resources if need be.

3. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I've driven, charged, and idled on my routes to Vegas in such weather and the Model S handles it no sweat. Being able to remotely activate the AC is a really wonderful feature in that climate.

4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

Along with GM, Tesla has one of the best battery thermal management systems in the business. Both of them use liquid coolant to heat and cool the individual cells of the battery pack, and both can hold the battery well below ambient temperatures when required by using the a separate expansion valve and the A/C compressor to chill the coolant.

• Informative x 1
  5. Waiting4M3

Waiting4M3 Active Member

Is Arizona hotter than the middle east? Tesla sells cars there, I think Arizona is probably not as bad.

6. Lu Ann

Lu Ann Member

I haven't had a problem with mine today as hot as it was. There is audible noise from the battery cooling and HVAC system though.

• Informative x 1