Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Cooling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since i have not read anything about Tesla battery packs overheating, I'm taking that as a good sign. Right now in the Phoenix area it is 116 degrees a forecasted to be over 120 for the next two days. Are there any Tesla owners out there that can comment on battery overheating in Phoenix area?? Is it a concern or no sweat?

Along with GM, Tesla has one of the best battery thermal management systems in the business. Both of them use liquid coolant to heat and cool the individual cells of the battery pack, and both can hold the battery well below ambient temperatures when required by using the a separate expansion valve and the A/C compressor to chill the coolant.

Since i have not read anything about Tesla battery packs overheating, I'm taking that as a good sign. Right now in the Phoenix area it is 116 degrees a forecasted to be over 120 for the next two days. Are there any Tesla owners out there that can comment on battery overheating in Phoenix area?? Is it a concern or no sweat?

seems early in year for 120s...but, it's a "dry" heat, right?

Does battery cooling kick in even when the car is not being driven and isn't plugged in? Say, if it's just parked in direct sun in a hot asphalt parking lot?

It depends. If the BMS/THC is asleep it does not maintain thermal targets, but the next time the contactors close to provide power to any vehicle systems then it will enforce thermal limits.

It depends. If the BMS/THC is asleep it does not maintain thermal targets, but the next time the contactors close to provide power to any vehicle systems then it will enforce thermal limits.

If that's the case parking in direct sunlight in the summer it seems the battery could get quite hot. Is that not as big a deal if the battery isn't charging?

If that's the case parking in direct sunlight in the summer it seems the battery could get quite hot. Is that not as big a deal if the battery isn't charging?

The battery has quite a bit of thermal mass. The highest I’ve seen it get when parked in direct sunlight is about 40 C. Passive cooling is activated at 30 C. It’s not all that effective though at reducing the pack temp. Maybe just a couple degrees.