Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm debating what to do. I was thinking of getting a M3 RWD because of the LFP battery and driving it as long as it would last. I'm getting rid of the current MYP at 14k (four months total) and I'm not sure which direction il heading, another MYP and doing the same, or drive a M3 sr as far as it will go.
Make sure that the M3 SR+ has enough actual range for your daily commute. Level 2 charging for the M3 SR+ is limited to 240V and 32 amps instead of 48 amps as with the Performance Model Y. The maximum charging rate when Supercharging is also more limited in the M3 SR+. If you start driving a M3 SR+ you will likely spend more time charging and Supercharging than you do now.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
Make sure that the M3 SR+ has enough actual range for your daily commute. Level 2 charging for the M3 SR+ is limited to 240V and 32 amps instead of 48 amps as with the Performance Model Y. The maximum charging rate when Supercharging is also more limited in the M3 SR+. If you start driving a M3 SR+ you will likely spend more time charging and Supercharging than you do now.
If you only charge to 80%, the LFP 3 gives you more daily range than the Y Performance (303 rated, 242 at 80%). LFP 3 can be at 100% every day.

Where it will be noticed is for trips when SC. You will also notice the extra cash from going Y Performance to 3 RWD, so there will be pros and cons depending on your situation.

Reactions: Physicslawyer
I just placed an order for a M3 SR+, like a minute ago. I have been getting free Supercharging for the MYP, which is the only reason I have been using the Supercharger. I'll use the MYP during the summer and commute with the M3 SR+ unless it's cold out. I don't want to try an 85k experiment of driving a MYP for 50k miles a year. I'm already down to 285 miles at 12k miles. I'm willing to spend 50k on a similar experiment but with the LFP chemistry and higher cycles.

We have a charger at one of our homes. I'll get a charger put in where we are during the week. We won't Supercharge it 95% of the time. You can also get tires for $700 with a 60k mile warranty vs $1600 with a 40k warranty for the MYP. When it's really cold, my husband can take it for his 20 mile commute and I'll take the Prius or the WRX.

I just placed an order for a M3 SR+, like a minute ago. I have been getting free Supercharging for the MYP, which is the only reason I have been using the Supercharger. I'll use the MYP during the summer and commute with the M3 SR+ unless it's cold out. I don't want to try an 85k experiment of driving a MYP for 50k miles a year. I'm already down to 285 miles at 12k miles. I'm willing to spend 50k on a similar experiment but with the LFP chemistry and higher cycles.

We have a charger at one of our homes. I'll get a charger put in where we are during the week. We won't Supercharge it 95% of the time. You can also get tires for $700 with a 60k mile warranty vs $1600 with a 40k warranty for the MYP. When it's really cold, my husband can take it for his 20 mile commute and I'll take the Prius or the WRX.
I've considered this as well, a M3SR+ for my wife (she would take it if we got it wrapped, even though she really wants a 'sporty' 2-door EV). This would work especially well when we move south in a few years, out of the snow belt. And you'll want to keep your MY for festival camping - I've seen that you can do it in a M3, but it looks a little claustrophobic without the hatchback.

How are you getting free SC? I got it for the first 6 months of ownership, back when you could use a referral code but it was only for the first 1,000 miles....

I own a 2005 Tesla with around 340,000 miles (those speedos can’t go past 299,999 so this is my best guess).
I'm curious about this car, but you have a typo there in the year. Tesla sold their first cars, the Roadsters, in 2008, so that shouldn't be a 2005. I didn't know the Roadsters had the odometers capped like that. That seems strangely shortsighted in their programming.

Reactions: ArtK
I'm curious about this car, but you have a typo there in the year. Tesla sold their first cars, the Roadsters, in 2008, so that shouldn't be a 2005. I didn't know the Roadsters had the odometers capped like that. That seems strangely shortsighted in their programming.
My apologies. Although I do own a 2020 Tesla MYLR, I was typing here about my 2005 Prius (it was very early in the morning and I had a misfire). I only noticed it now, with your comment. What I wrote is completely true of my Prius. I’m so sorry.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The MYP I have is a fleet vehicle. I am paying $1413 for 3k/month or $1633 for 4k/miles per month. Supercharging is included. I have separate insurance in addition to this. I'm looking for a more logical way of going about this.

I would get the M3 for my commute and get the MYP for a few months in the summer each year, until the Cybertruck ever comes out (we have had a reservation for years at this point, like many of you!)

For reference, I believe is SR pack:

Screenshot_20221026-191620.png

Sometime in the next 4-5 years, I may want a new 2170 pack in my 2018 model 3. Mostly because I will want the range back up.
Wondering a few things;
-Would a performance 82kw pack fit in my AWD 2018 model 3?
-Would an LFP pack, or another type also fit, or am I fixed to 2170 ?

Has anyone looked into this to know if the above is possible. ?
Thanks

Sometime in the next 4-5 years, I may want a new 2170 pack in my 2018 model 3. Mostly because I will want the range back up.
Wondering a few things;
-Would a performance 82kw pack fit in my AWD 2018 model 3?
-Would an LFP pack, or another type also fit, or am I fixed to 2170 ?

Has anyone looked into this to know if the above is possible. ?
Thanks
They might, but I think I would just go like-for-like, as the SW/BMS for the car is probably based on which battery was originally installed so it may not accurately project range or even manage the battery properly. If you do it under the battery warranty, I imagine it's only like-for-like.

• Informative
Reactions: M109Rider
@Physicslawyer I think you worrying about the battery too early...
You can't compare new Tesla batteries with 10-year-old batteries from Model S or other cars. Even it's still LI-Ion, the technology process is continuously improving, and I am sure batteries of the newer vehicles last longer than 300K, especially if you follow the recommended by Tesla charging practices. Also, by the time when you decide to replace the battery, the price for the pack most likely go even lower than now, because with a growth of EVs, the manufacturing of the batteries will be cheaper and cheaper. Lithium prices are already pretty quickly going down after the spike in 2021-2022. So relax, and better think where to buy tires for MYP, because they will not last :))

Lithium price chart:
1680619738234.png

Reactions: DanDi58
You can't compare new Tesla batteries with 10-year-old batteries from Model S or other cars. Even it's still LI-Ion, the technology process is continuously improving, and I am sure batteries of the newer vehicles last longer than 300K, especially if you follow the recommended by Tesla charging practices. Also, by the time when you decide to replace the battery, the price for the pack most likely go even lower than now, because with a growth of EVs, the manufacturing of the batteries will be cheaper and cheaper. Lithium prices are already pretty quickly going down after the spike in 2021-2022. So relax, and better think where to buy tires for MYP, because they will not last :))

Lithium price chart:
View attachment 924838
I understand. I’m not worried, I’m just pre planning a bit.
My battery is 4.5 years old, and in great shape. I have about 210,000km’s (130,500 miles) on it now. The driving I do requires all the range I can muster. So as my battery naturally degrades, I may want to replace it, instead of buying a new car, to ensure I have the range I need.
Knowing what is possible, and or potential pricing is important in the process.
Just seeing what others knew or have looked into in regards to types of batteries that may be available for my 2018 M3 AWD.
Cheers.

Lithium price chart:
View attachment 924838
I bought a MYP recently and will hope for the best. But, I'm going to keep it to 15k/yr instead of 50k/yr and drive our Prius for the other miles.

Reactions: Art84