Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery cracked [Tesla claims from pothole damage]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the car runs fine, I would not fix the pack dent. At best just sell it to Vroom.
Ya there’s good advice. Sell a busted up car to vroom because they don’t know what they’re doing and them poor person will buy it.
I call foul play here. Someone asked for a copy of the repair invoice not a screen shot of how much you owe to tesla. In the app you can click on show invoice estimate and there it will detail everything. Curious how thmat wasn’t posted.

I’ve been around and with Tesla since 2013 and I’ve found the techs to be nothing but honest. tomrhe point of NOT going looking for things wrong.

Took my 2018 Tesla 3 in for service because it was making a lot of noise. Problem was due to wheel bearings corroded. Unfortunately, mechanic states they also found that the battery was cracked, likely due to a pothole. They said it would be so expensive to replace that we needed to file a claim with our insurance company. Mechanic said that we may not have even noticed that we went over the potholes as potholes can cause a lot of damage, even small ones. Mechanic also claimed we took the vehicle off road. I baby the car and don't even drive it in the winter.

Anyone else have a similar problem?

If you have teslafi, you can view a map of everywhere the car has ever been and see if it has went off roading anywhere.

There is zero chance driving Over potholes would damage your battery pack. Zero. Maybe if you bottom your car out over them repeatedly then maybe. Driving through them over them no. I drive a 3 mile gravel road and it has potholes and I’ve never had this issue. Suspension issues yes but not Until 85k. Sounds more like you hit something.
My model 3 has literally bottomed out on speed bump in NY. I wouldn't say there is a 0 chance. I've got some bad scratches.

Reactions: buckets0fun
I guess if you’re Tesla, a ‘potentially’ compromised pack is a fire risk. The only way to know is to take it out and have a look…. which might as well be a new/refurbed pack.

Got any pictures of the underside of the car? Fit that money I’d find a local ramp.

I guess if you’re Tesla, a ‘potentially’ compromised pack is a fire risk. The only way to know is to take it out and have a look…. which might as well be a new/refurbed pack.

Got any pictures of the underside of the car? Fit that money I’d find a local ramp.
I will send pictures shortly. The plate under the car is very thin and there is a very small whole in the plate about 1 inch long. Tesla service took many pictures of the car trying to prove that I was traveling off road. There are no dents in the car. They took pictures of dirt on the car. We showed them it was merely dirt and there are no dents. It is really crazy. I baby this car. I believe this is a manufacturing defect in the thickness of the plate. I have two cars and only drive the Tesla in the summer, even though it is all wheel drive. We have submitted an insurance claim and expect that they will pay for the new batteries. I plan on selling the car.

What makes you think it will be brand new? It will most likely be a refurbished battery.

If they are buying a new battery it should be new, right? The price would be with the core charge but it should be new. Batteries under warranty, though, are usually refurb because the warranty specifically allows them to do that (so they do).

Here are the pictures Tesla sent to us to support their claim that the car has been taken off road. That is dirt on pic 6. I don't take the car to car washes. I only do DIY washes. Oddly enough, Tesla service did not take pictures of the hole in the bottom of the car. My husband took pictures of that on a second visit and I have yet to see them. Their email send line from Tesla is entitled: "Damages to vehicle". I just don't believe that these pictures support their claim. If Tesla wants customers to trust their products, they need to start with their service teams.

Attachments

• pic 1.pdf
    95.7 KB · Views: 157
  • pic 8.pdf
    75.2 KB · Views: 113
  • pic 7.pdf
    43.3 KB · Views: 97
  • pic 6.pdf
    78.8 KB · Views: 99
  • pic 5.pdf
    56.7 KB · Views: 85
  • pic 4.pdf
    94.9 KB · Views: 83
  • pic 3.pdf
    88.9 KB · Views: 81
  • pic 2.pdf
    103.3 KB · Views: 91
Well, the only two pics showing damage are 5 and 7:
by default 2021-11-19 at 1.47.03 PM.jpg

by default 2021-11-19 at 1.47.18 PM.jpg

Looks to me like this 2nd pic is the front edge of the battery.

The two scratches do seem to line up, but I'm not at all sure why they would indicate off-roading? If the first contact at the leading edge were a rock, why wouldn't it leave a scratch all the way down, as opposed to half-way down the battery pack?